[Support] omada-controller

So I've been having a ton of wifi issues. I saw mention that someone fixed their issues by setting up the controller in an Ubuntu VM. All my problems are seemingly gone after doing the same. I would agree that there appears to be some sort of issue with this container.

Cliffs: If you're having issues, try installing the software into a VM.

36 minutes ago, flyize said:

So I've been having a ton of wifi issues. I saw mention that someone fixed their issues by setting up the controller in an Ubuntu VM. All my problems are seemingly gone after doing the same. I would agree that there appears to be some sort of issue with this container.

The Ubuntu VM thing was me.  Still running with zero problems.  Once again, sorry but the container just doesn't work or if it does, it won't for long.

41 minutes ago, flyize said:

Define "wifi issues"? I've been running the container most of 2022 without problem. What should I look out for?

11 hours ago, MaxAbsorbency said:

Define "wifi issues"? I've been running the container most of 2022 without problem. What should I look out for?

Yes, I would like to know the sorts of issues too. I've been running the container for a few months and have experienced the issue of the controller resetting on a reboot of Unraid. But otherwise seems ok. 

On 11/29/2022 at 11:15 AM, MaxAbsorbency said:

You'd know. In my case, just extremely poor wifi performance. It started with my wife's connection too slow and unstable for Zoom meetings. I troubleshooted it off and on for months, assuming it was her PC (BIOS, NIC settings, new NICs, etc). Then it started happening to my PC. And then I would get notifications that my phone dropped offline. That's when I started looking at my wifi infrastructure. In my case, the only thing I have that this container controls is two EAP610 APs.

My APs should be doing the *vast* majority of the work here, so I honestly have no explanation as to why this container would screw things up. I fully admit that it doesn't make sense. But what does make sense is that as soon as I installed the controller into an Ubuntu VM (still on the same Unraid server) all the problems disappeared.

The container for me ran fine for a few months.  Zero problems.  Then one day, it started constantly falling over.  Wouldn't start, would crash all the time.  Just unending issues.  I spent weeks trying to get it working properly.  Deleted/wiped everything multiple times, tried tons of different settings but in the end I just gave up and installed the container on an Unbuntu VM and same as others have said, works properly with none of these problems.  If the Unraid container works fine for you, great but don't be surprised if it just suddenly fails some day for no apparent reason.  This thread is full of people talking about the same unexplained problems.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I experienced problems with WIFI after a couple of weeks running this container. Speeds completly dropping when setting up diffrent vlans/ssid. Didn´t beleve it was because of the container so spent many hours debugging my AP:s and resetting everything.

After finally looking att this support site i tried running controller in a old windows VM and migrated my stuff there. No problems so far... Everything works now.

Would love to run it in Docker again sometime but for now I use a VM.

• 2 weeks later...

I just rebooted my server to replace a drive and lost my omada controller too. 
Upon reboot it was a fresh instance. Of course i don't remember the device information so i cannot re-adopt the AP which to its credit is still working fine. 

How freaking annoying. Guess I'll have to spin up a VM just for this container. What a shame aside from the controller going whiskey tango foxtrot, I've been really enjoying the omada stuff. 

Edited by pacnwsoundstream
  • 2 months later...

Very nice work on this docker! It has been working well for me for a few months.

However, over the last few weeks, there have been 4 or 5 updates posted to community apps and I'm having trouble understanding what has changed and whether I should apply them.  The Unraid site and the project site don't seem to have any release notes or even a headline for the update.

Can you point me to where I can find this information?

Hey all - I'm the Docker image author.  If people are having specific issues with the image not running or unexpected errors, I can help but would appreciate issues being posted to GitHub.

@hedrinbc - No idea where or how the container image is published to the marketplace but there may be an update needed to change how the container is run as it looks like some people are hitting ulimits as you can see here: https://github.com/mbentley/docker-omada-controller/issues/298#issuecomment-1491937963

This would be a change to how the run command is defined assuming it uses docker run type parameters.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
1 hour ago, mbentley said:

Hey all - I'm the Docker image author.  If people are having specific issues with the image not running or unexpected errors, I can help but would appreciate issues being posted to GitHub.

@hedrinbc - No idea where or how the container image is published to the marketplace but there may be an update needed to change how the container is run as it looks like some people are hitting ulimits as you can see here: https://github.com/mbentley/docker-omada-controller/issues/298#issuecomment-1491937963

This would be a change to how the run command is defined assuming it uses docker run type parameters.

Unfortunately @hedrinbc doesn't appear to be actively supporting this template, since that user ID hasn't visited the forum since November.

I'm tagging in Squid to see how he wants to handle this.

Under control, nothing to see here. 😃

Edited by JonathanM
Woke the dead

Thanks for chiming in. I still haven't had an issue at all with the container/image but I added that parameter just in case. 

@mbentley I will take a look tonight or tomorrow thanks for the insight.

I may be missing seeing some of my notifications for this thread. My issue.

I'm happy to withdraw this template if there is a more official one we should be focusing on instead.

2 minutes ago, hedrinbc said:

Wow, that escalated quickly as Ron Burgundy might say.

Will take a look tonight.

Sorry, I saw the post by the container author pinging you, looked at your profile, and saw the last time you visited the forum was mid November, and assumed you were no longer interested in this template.

It's all good, you seem to have the situation handled. 😁

I will set the ulimit as @mbentley guides all users of the docker and get the update out today.

Here is the before an after on my container ulimits from testing.

root@netserve:~# docker container inspect -f "{{.HostConfig.Ulimits}}" omada-controller
[]
root@netserve:~# docker container inspect -f "{{.HostConfig.Ulimits}}" omada-controller
[nofile=4096:8192]

Made update to my github for the template and notified Squid.

Change was to add "--ulimit nofile=4096:8192" (no quotes) to the "Extra Parameters:" field you will see when you toggle to "Advanced View" in your omada-controller template.

Please get back if any issues arrise,

-Ben

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 4/1/2023 at 9:03 AM, hedrinbc said:

Made update to my github for the template and notified Squid.

Change was to add "--ulimit nofile=4096:8192" (no quotes) to the "Extra Parameters:" field you will see when you toggle to "Advanced View" in your omada-controller template.

Please get back if any issues arrise,

-Ben

I had to stop using this container a while back due to poor wifi performance. Any chance this may have been the cause? I'd really rather run it in Docker than my utility VM...

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, gonna show what is quite possibly my stupidity here. I’ve installed the container with default template, I didn’t change anything. When I try to go to the webui, I get a “cannot connect to server”. Did I miss some required change to the template or something else perhaps. Also, after some time the container appears to be stopping itself. I’ve removed and redownloaded once already with no fix. Any ideas? Thanks in advance. 

IMG_1532.jpeg

7 hours ago, taprackpew said:

Ok, gonna show what is quite possibly my stupidity here. I’ve installed the container with default template, I didn’t change anything. When I try to go to the webui, I get a “cannot connect to server”. Did I miss some required change to the template or something else perhaps. Also, after some time the container appears to be stopping itself. I’ve removed and redownloaded once already with no fix. Any ideas? Thanks in advance. 

Check your MANAGE_HTTP_PORT / MANAGE_HTTPS_PORT variables on the omada-controller container and make sure that's the port you're connecting to (http:// or https:// respectively)