Convert old current pc to Unraid server

Hi All,

I am looking at turning my old Win 10 PC into a UnRaid server, primarily for Plex and the occasional Win 10 VM. Ideally would explore Pi-hole, Sonarr, Radar etc in Docker as well. 

My current PC specs are as follows:

CPU: Intel i7 3930K @ 3.2GHz (Socket 2011 LGA) 6Core 12Threads

MBO: ASRock X79 Extreme6

RAM: GSkill Ripjaws Z DDR3-2400 16GB (4x 4GB)

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780Ti

Storage: Samsung 128Gb SSD & Seagate 1 TB HDD

I have a HP Microserver Gen8 which I’m looking to bring the HDDs into the above system. 

Plex - Generally only 1-2 streams on local network so direct play.

To accomplish this do I need to upgrade CPU, RAM or MOBO?

I compared your build to mine.

I have the I7-4790K

Asrock Extreme 6 97

GTX 1050TI

You have a slightly higher CpuBench mark than I do. Id normally recommend Cpu bench mark of 2000 per transcode and you are sitting at 8139

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-Core-i7-3930K-vs-Intel-Core-i7-4790K/902vs2275

I can easily Transcode 4 Videos with no issues. I just recently added my VideoCard to add in GPU Transcoding too. Before I relied on the Processor to do all the work and it did just fine. Worked it pretty good, but it did fine. 

The only thing I'd recommend and this is just a recommendation is look into a larger SSD. I'd personally shoot for around 500GB to give you a bit more breathing room for Docker Support aka Plex and some room for Caching new files as you add them to your system.  You could still start off with the SSD you have and just install the plugin CA Backup/Restore V2 so you can create a backup and restore point of your SSD in the event you decide later for more SSD room. 

I hope that helps. ;)

• Thanks 1