New server build recommendations (please!)

benyaki

Please delete or close this thread, I have changed plans (see last line) and have started a new thread in motherboard/cpu section)

I am looking for some new server recommendations (hardware). I looked into this last year, but never ended up getting around to it.

I currently have a 24 bay case whose internals are going on 9+ years old. Uses a regular PSU, has SATA backplate on the drives.

I am currently using 33TB and need room for more. There is obviously some inefficiencies in the hard drive capacities with a few of them being 1.5TB and 2TB drives (dual 4TB parity and dual 500GB cache). Open to upgrading a bunch of drives to 8TB to lower drive numbers.

I currently use or plan to use the server for:

- Plex (including transcoding up to 3 streams at a time)

- Virtualization (OSX)

- photo, file, and music storage

- basic dockers for media handling, VPN etc

- I would like some expandability for the future in terms of storage

Currently this server is inefficient, slow for transcoding etc and uses around 160W at idle. 

EDIT: I have decided to upgrade the internals of this case (new MB, CPU, RAM, Controller card) - new post in motherboard/cpu section as I have no idea what is required.

Edited by benyaki