Installing Unraid on QNAP TVS-h1288x / TVS-h-1688x

Linguafoeda

So I've been looking for a small-form factor server chassis that solves all my needs as an all-in-one server and I had basically all but decided on the U-NAS NSC-810A until I discovered QNAP's latest models that now come with 3.3GHz W-1250 Xeon processor (similar to Intel consumer 10th gen using LGA1200 socket), Intel P630 UHD iGPU, 16-32GB ECC DDR4 RAM, dual 10GBe ports, 4 2.5GBe ports and two unused PCI 3.0 x4 expansion. The TVS-h1288x (8 HDDs + 4 SSDs) and h-1688x (12 HDDs + 4 SSDs) are basically exactly what I was looking for in the exact form factor and saves me a whole lot of headache on slowing collecting similar parts (I wanted the 35W 1.9GHz Xeon 1290T + Asrock W480D4U with 8-SATA ports onboard + Enhance 600W PSU + Connect-X3 10G card) and building inside the tiny 810A chassis myself.

The only issue is I want to make sure that the QNAP is 100% compatible with getting Unraid install up and running as if I had built the server myself. I've a few threads about this but in general there doesn't seem to be consensus:

• @HellDiverUK's thread from last year where they mentioned "NO video output on this machine, and indeed no GPU of any sort, so if you need to troubleshoot via console you're SOL"
  • thread from four years ago which mentioned it should work (similar to how Asustor NASes support Unraid)
  • @HellDiverUK's comment from three years ago mentioning that "doesn't work - the 453B has two SATA ports controlled by the Intel SOC, and the other two by a Marvell controller.  So, the inner two bays work, the outer two don't work

Does anyone know how I could confirm this before dropping 2-3k on a QNAP only to run into HDD controller issues, fan speed control issues or the dozens of other things I'm not considering?

Also - in the QNAP specs, it states that it supports GPUs "with dimensions up to 266 x 137 x 45 mm. 2. The 550W power supply unit provides an 8-pin (6+2) power connector and a 6-pin power connector for a graphics card". Does anyone know what the most latest and greatest GPU would be that fits in this setup (does a dual-slot 2070/3070 fit in these constraints?)

Sorry to reply so late -- I can't believe it's Wednesday already.

It's been a month since I installed Unraid on my QNAP, and I'm so happy I did. My only complaint is that I don't have any fan control. I replaced the stock fans with Noctuas and flipped them from exhaust to intake, but my drive temps are still uncomfortably high, but still within spec. The fan controller isn't detected by the System AutoFan plugin, so I'll have to figure out some kind of hardware modification.

I do like that it's low-power and isn't loud or overly obnoxious. It definitely passes the wife test, so it's been a winner.

However, if I had a 2-3K budget like you mentioned, I'd definitely build something custom -- in the end, it may be worth the headache. If I had my choice, I'd take modularity over the convenient form-factor. My QNAP is already 4 years old. It fits my needs, but the processor is soldered on and I'm already maxed at 8GB of DDR3. I have no more upgrade paths.

But as it stands, I've had 0 issues running Unraid on my QNAP. If you choose to go the QNAP route, you'll probably have a great time.

Thank you so much for your reply, it is very helpful. Ive decided if I'm spending 2-3k, it's makes much more sense to build out something with future upgradeability in something like the UNAS 810A or Silverstone CS381 chassis.

The QNAP is certainly a super cool machine but I don't think people should buy it new solely to run an external OS, even though it works. The fan speed and inability to upgrade Mobo/CPU 5 years from now are probably the biggest issues with going the Unraid on a new QNAP route.

Edited by DrivePool9015