Help!!! (I cannot get windows vm to run)

Rovivrus

Hello.

Now I am facing another issue when I come to passthrough the nvidia gpu the web interface seems to freeze and the changes I am implementing are being disregarded. I get stuck with this screen, any advice? 

The browser is firefox for mac.

And I have the templates and codes over the vms (attached)

Screenshot 2021-01-31 at 12.55.42.png

1 code.pdf 1 template.pdf 2 code.pdf 2 template.pdf 3 VNC code.pdf 3 VNC template.pdf 4 VNC code.pdf 4 VNC template.pdf CONSTRUCT VNC code.pdf CONSTRUCT VNC template.pdf monolith-diagnostics-20210130-1811.zip system devices 30012021.pdf System Log 30012021.pdf

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello 

Update. I still do not know why the webgui frozen when I tried to apply the gpu passthrough.

Please I took a screen shot of the frozen webgui.

VM's 1 and 2 booted fine and loaded into windows without a hitch. So, I think the VNC is working as it should now.

Construct VM booted without an issue with VNC applied, and this is still working and is now the oldest VM.

So, concluded that VM 1 & 2 and Construct worked with VNC and that is what they where there to test, so they passed, and with construct booting off the M.2 as well and still be the oldest vm to date.

VM 3 still froze the webgui when I tried to enter the gpu, (after a restart and an hour and half break)  and so trying to boot the vm with VNC worked but with the gpu it was a none starter. I had to set up a new Windows 10 i440fx vm with the gpu added in from the get go, but the screen didn't see a signal and it is plugged and working correctly, so the gpu didn't generate a signal and so I didn't get a chance to see the windows installer and the keyboard and mouse where powered on which are connected to the usb card.

VM 4 responded and applied the GPU to the vm. This is after a server restart and leaving it at 6pm and returning to it at 7:30pm.

but the same thing occurred as vm3a the gpu was passed through but the video was not detected by the screen.

for VM's 3 3a and 4 the screen popped up the cable might be unplugged message when the vm was booting into windows oddly the keyboard and mouse that where plugged into the usb card did not power on ether? which it did when on VNC??? So the GPU VM's failed.

the changes I made to the vm's to passthrough the gpu was select the video form the dropdown menu the same with the sound.

I added the card bios edited rom via a hex editor deleted the flashing header from the file and resaved it under a different name and it is stored in the iso share.

I also made sure that the sound and graphic parts of the gpu where on the same slot and was set to multifunction (multifunction='0n'/>)

and the function was set to graphics as 0 and audio was 1. and then clicked on update and proceeded to boot the VM.

I do not know what to do?

the motherboards graphics are set to the onboard graphics.

The intel virtualisation both are enabled.

The GPU and USB card and the M.2's are set to there individual IOMMU groups only the USB card and M.2's are selected in the configuration file that the VFIO-PCI p plugin, this is so that there are abled to be selected in the PCI other device box in the vm template.

And the check and slight edit of the vm's code to make sure both are using the same slot in the virtual pc.

What am I missing, please help. 

sorting slot.png

vm applying issue.png

3a Boot outcome.JPG

4 boot outcome.JPG

3a i440fx 1070 vm code.pdf 3a i440fx 1070vm template.pdf 4 q35 1070 vm template.pdf 4 q35 1070vm code.pdf Log for:3a 1070vm.pdf Log for:4 1070ti Q35vm.pdf monolith-diagnostics-20210131-2001.zip

I can tick off power draw issue off the list as a possible cause. the gpu fans spun during the boot up, but, as soon as, the unraid system was loading the gpu stopped spinning it fans.

I thought this might have something to do with it because I never seen the Nvidia card spin its fans when I looked at it in the past. Now I know, since watching it, from the moment I hit the power button and sure enough it spins during the boot up but then stops.

So power draw is not a problem.

I also want to provide you with some insights regarding VM's and pass through in general.  This is relatively newer tech in the Linux kernel and hardware support is limited.  Between mobos, CPUs, GPUs, and other PCIe devices, there are combinations that work and combinations that don't.  Most modern builds work just fine, and I myself have an i7-7700 CPU that works just fine.  However, I will say that your motherboard is now suspect.  That CPU/mobo came out in 2017 during a time where support for VT-d on consumer platforms was not at its best.  We had "iffy" results with various hardware platforms, so finding the "right" combination of hardware was key.  I do remember specifically having issues with some ASUS branded boards back then.

Some of this comes down to the fact that these virtualization use-cases haven't been well tested on consumer-grade motherboards.  The vendors put the chips in place that support it and put the feature in their motherboard BIOS, but we've seen multiple times now where those platforms don't work correctly.  In some cases a BIOS update comes out that fixes it, but in others, the board is just left in this unsupported state.

I totally get what you want and why you want it.  VMs in Unraid are awesome and make our systems more robust and powerful.  But sometimes you end up having the wrong hardware for that setup.  The best advice I can give is to try and get a different motherboard, at which point I would just upgrade both the mobo and CPU to something more modern.  I don't know if you've already exhausted your budget for this, but when it comes to support, you've clearly stumbled onto an issue that no one else has seen or been able to resolve.  If SpaceInvaderOne doesn't even cover this example in his vids, that should tell yah something ;-).

I really do wish I had a better answer for you, but these types of issues are very hardware-specific and without a replica of your environment, we wouldn't even know where to start.  And even if we had an exact copy of your hardware, there is a high probability we would end up with the same results.  When it comes to supporting GPU pass through VMs, we are really great at helping fix problems on systems that used to work properly, but when a user like yourself has never had success to begin with, that is a much more difficult thing for us to figure out.  We do the best we can, but considering all you've tried already, there isn't anything else I can think of at this point to have you attempt.

Hello.

4 hours ago, jonp said:

Have you tried the basics of installing a VM with no pass through except for GPU and then just assigning the USB devices to the VM from the Edit VM page (not passing through the USB controller)?

to answer this point. yes I did do with the amd card when I was trying to put all three passthrough hardware I tried an all VNC vm.

as you the hardware pass through vm, didn't work but the all VNC did. then I passed the USB card through and it works like it has on any vm since.

the M.2 I know it is doable on i440fx I am not sure about q35. The thing that catches me out is the fact when I turn on the sever is double checking the bios boot sequence, because if that is not changed back to the usb key it will boot windows and the disk for the vm is corrupted. but sometimes with a vm and m.2 the vm booting sees the clover image and then the QMU agent is not installed screen?

In theory yes passing each usb device is a way, but with each task requiring differing devices and passing every USB device prior is really not an option hence Why I went down the card route to keep the hot swap/plug and play still available.

4 hours ago, jonp said:

I also want to provide you with some insights regarding VM's and pass through in general.  This is relatively newer tech in the Linux kernel and hardware support is limited.  Between mobos, CPUs, GPUs, and other PCIe devices, there are combinations that work and combinations that don't.  Most modern builds work just fine, and I myself have an i7-7700 CPU that works just fine.  However, I will say that your motherboard is now suspect.  That CPU/mobo came out in 2017 during a time where support for VT-d on consumer platforms was not at its best.  We had "iffy" results with various hardware platforms, so finding the "right" combination of hardware was key.  I do remember specifically having issues with some ASUS branded boards back then.

Some of this comes down to the fact that these virtualization use-cases haven't been well tested on consumer-grade motherboards.  The vendors put the chips in place that support it and put the feature in their motherboard BIOS, but we've seen multiple times now where those platforms don't work correctly.  In some cases a BIOS update comes out that fixes it, but in others, the board is just left in this unsupported state.

I totally get what you want and why you want it.  VMs in Unraid are awesome and make our systems more robust and powerful.  But sometimes you end up having the wrong hardware for that setup.  The best advice I can give is to try and get a different motherboard, at which point I would just upgrade both the mobo and CPU to something more modern.  I don't know if you've already exhausted your budget for this, but when it comes to support, you've clearly stumbled onto an issue that no one else has seen or been able to resolve.  If SpaceInvaderOne doesn't even cover this example in his vids, that should tell yah something ;-).

I really do wish I had a better answer for you, but these types of issues are very hardware-specific and without a replica of your environment, we wouldn't even know where to start.  And even if we had an exact copy of your hardware, there is a high probability we would end up with the same results.  When it comes to supporting GPU pass through VMs, we are really great at helping fix problems on systems that used to work properly, but when a user like yourself has never had success to begin with, that is a much more difficult thing for us to figure out.  We do the best we can, but considering all you've tried already, there isn't anything else I can think of at this point to have you attempt.

Paragraph one: yes i am aware of this, I seen a few video's where AMD cpu's did not work hence why I went intel.

I7 was the highest class of intel's cpu's in the consumer side at the time, as I am not familiar with the server/enterprise side.

and the 7700K was new at the time I started putting the plan into action.

it has taken me this long to get the parts together to build the machine this was done in mid/late 2020.

I was also made aware that this use case loves ram hence why i have got given what can obtain.

it seems I avoided the Asus issue with going ASRock.

The Taichi was the only board with 10 onboard sata ports (new newer version have 6-8 depending) which make it simple choice. Since i do not need to run additional sata ports via PCIe card.

I still remember looking for a compatible model for the USB card, which was a head ache in it's self.

Since at the time I would have to spend additional £2/300 on a HBA and then reflash it's bios, and if i did it wrong it would be unrecoverable. which the only experience I had at this time was updating once or twice a motherboards bios. So, dealing with this was an issue, I am still unsure if I have to flash a HBA into "IT" mode if i am able to do this today. So, the 10 sata ports was a god send no HBA to deal with.

I was also aware that nvidia GPU's required a copy of the cards bios to work, there was not a lot of news regarding the issue with AMD cards.

So, why is unraid being advertised as bring life to an older pc for NAS work, at point of time (2017/18) saying the higher consumer grade stuff would work well for VM workloads? Which, I do not get that an I7 4.*GHz capable around 3000-3600Mhz DDR4 Ram that has to be pinned at 2444mhz because servers can not take overclocking, this to was not clear to me at the start. that took a few months to find that little gem out. which cost me more due to I was proswaided in upgrading the PSU from 850watts to the 100watt psi that it is using now. When I looked at the power draw again, when I was questioning the load the 1000Watt psi with the 1070ti added the PSU it is around 5-600 watt load (at the time I was questioning this due to I never saw the gpu fans spin, now I have). The motherboards chipset is a Z chipset? The PCIe version was 3, which both GPU's are PCIe 4 was only released end of last year. 

Third paragraph: Now i am really facing a time pressure now (I will explain further on), Secondly This is the 1st time I have heard of the parts chosen is a bad combination, I really, really could of done with this advice at lot sooner. to the information I had at the lead me down this path.

CPU gudiance = I3 good for NAS work, I5 heavier NAS work going towards Media server, I7 for gaming vm's.

My use case is not gaming but it is photo editing and using a application that is resource heavy the zoom text which is an application to assist me in using the windows operating system. Mac used to be very good at this 2009/10 around then with there basic black and white OS and the voice over was really leading edge which now the apple accessibility has been superseded by the third party applications. mac access ability options are now similar to vista's accessibility support in comparison. now that they are introducing a lot more colour into their menu system and the over use of transparencies. I am now really having to think what OS I am going to have used. Linux is looking really impressive on the ability to chop and change to be able to pat it to something useable, but it a lot of code work and at a level that I am plainly not at, also it still is not really able to run the main programs I use like microsoft's office i have tried 2003, 2004, 2010, 2016 and none was able to work through wine and by extension the play on linux wine based application. in regards to photo editing linux's main application is GIMP photoshops applications seem to be a no go. I have even noticed that the typical fonts are not present ( but i am guessing that these issue are due to licensing).

so with this in mind it looks like I will have to go back to windows and the third party assistive applications. which the windows vm would of done and since it is VM's on unraid would give me the choice to work on the linux OS, think apple there I say it?

so, it is got to be clear now why I choose unraid to run the NAS and a desktop pc that I would be able to use. Now as you said it's 2021 and I have been working on this machine through plaining and what spec's are required to run what I require, since 2017/18 which has been 4 or 5 years ago now.

I managed to scrape enough together for the Nvidia card this month. I have no more to spend for a long time now. Since where I work has change it's environment 

with a lot of white LED lighting, which are set on a motion sensor so the lights flash on it like an off camera flash going off. combined with making text smaller and smaller on paper work which is set to Economy so there is very little contrast in the printouts. So much so that I am being pushed out of work where I have been working in for 13years. Given how hard the job market is for abled bodied people the likely hood of someone like myself finding work again, all I say is slim bordering on the very. To make matters worse I had to transfer the licence key over end of last year so I am stuck until the end of December when the time is up and I can move the key free of charge. Because I won't have enough to acquire another unraid pro licence. 

As I said all the information I had until now was saying this configuration was possible. 

regarding spacesaver one's videos please do not miss understand me His video's are a great help to me and I guess many others, but to my knowledge he has only talked about three issues regarding GPU's through his two part guide to windows vm's and advanced Passthrough techniques.

• 1) no video at boot, suggestion pass through the gpu bios rom file. not if you done that and still no video.
  • 2) demonic sound Suggestion use MSI interrupts to fix. which is not much help when the vm is not booting.
  • 3) still having issues, suggestion Q35 which he explains how and where the setting is, then he goes on to "I boot my server in legacy mode" in his opinion that EUFI mode brings very little to none advantages for EUFI where legacy offers more support this is where he ends this guide and did not say how he got that option.

because I do not know how I cannot try it out to see if it helps, or if I should if making the chance puts the NAS side at risk.

but like his mac in a box videos and the passthroughs videos like the m.2 he did go into detail how to get it to work, but less content on what if's and troubleshooting. 

So I am basically being told that the expensive hardware that I had brought over time is useless! :(

Is there a unknown good 7th intel gen LGA1151 DDR4 PCIe gen 3 ATX motherboard??? because that might be the only path I have left.

Unless there is an known good AMD CPU and motherboard around the £300 mark

that will work with the Ram (48Gb of Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4 2666MHz) and GPU's (either the Raideon RX 580 or the Nvidia 1070it)

I know the key can be transferred but I have data on the array is there a way of plugging in these knew good drives with the data still safe and useable,

when plugging into the know good motherboard? Also how to setup a HBA and how to get that into IT mode since I will be moving away from the onboard 10 sata ports???

Yet again I am going to have ask again, Please Help!

13 hours ago, Rovivrus said:

Hello.

to answer this point. yes I did do with the amd card when I was trying to put all three passthrough hardware I tried an all VNC vm.

What about with the NVIDIA card?

as you the hardware pass through vm, didn't work but the all VNC did. then I passed the USB card through and it works like it has on any vm since.

So passing through the USB card works on any VM you try it with, correct?  No issues after reboots of the VM or the host?

the M.2 I know it is doable on i440fx I am not sure about q35. The thing that catches me out is the fact when I turn on the sever is double checking the bios boot sequence, because if that is not changed back to the usb key it will boot windows and the disk for the vm is corrupted.

I think what you're saying here is that if you try to install Windows directly to the M.2 drive, sometimes your motherboard BIOS doesn't respect the settings you have configured to boot from USB, and it boots from the M.2 drive instead (directly into Windows).  But you're saying when it tries to do this (a physical booting of the previous virtual machine), the boot itself corrupts the underlying storage and when you finally get rebooted into Unraid and then try to launch the VM, the VM won't boot anymore because it is "corrupted"?  How did you determine it was corrupted?  What did you see when it tried to boot bare metal and what do you see when you try to boot it as a VM again?

but sometimes with a vm and m.2 the vm booting sees the clover image and then the QMU agent is not installed screen?

"is not installed screen"?  I'm not sure what that means.  I know you said you have some difficulty with words, but you're probably going to need to slow down a bit, re-read what you write, and then post.  There may be a lot getting lost in these paragraphs.

In theory yes passing each usb device is a way, but with each task requiring differing devices and passing every USB device prior is really not an option hence Why I went down the card route to keep the hot swap/plug and play still available.

That makes sense.  Passing through the entire controller does make things a lot easier.

Paragraph one: yes i am aware of this, I seen a few video's where AMD cpu's did not work hence why I went intel.

Paragraph one really didn't have anything to do with AMD vs. Intel.  I was highlighting the fact that back then, even Intel VT-d was problematic for some combinations of hardware.  I think a lot of that has been fleshed out since then, but the point remains that in 2017, hardware vendors didn't do the greatest job of verifying advanced virtualization functionality on consumer-grade chipsets.

I7 was the highest class of intel's cpu's in the consumer side at the time, as I am not familiar with the server/enterprise side.

Totally fine!  7700k isn't the issue here.  The CPU works for virtualization and pass through as I have one in one of my test systems at home.

it has taken me this long to get the parts together to build the machine this was done in mid/late 2020.

This does confuse me a bit.  Why not just wait until you have the budget to buy all the parts and then get something modern in 2020?  Why buy them over time?  Each component loses a bit of value over time, so if you buy a CPU today, a motherboard 6 months from now, the RAM 3 months after that, etc...by the time you've got all the parts, the build is worth less than half what you spent for it up front.  I guess its a little late now, but just curious why you went about it this way.

Have you checked for BIOS updates / reviewed all your BIOS settings?  Is Above 4G Decoding an option for you and if so, is it turned on?

The Taichi was the only board with 10 onboard sata ports (new newer version have 6-8 depending) which make it simple choice. Since i do not need to run additional sata ports via PCIe card.

Makes sense why you choose that board.

I still remember looking for a compatible model for the USB card, which was a head ache in it's self.

Since at the time I would have to spend additional £2/300 on a HBA and then reflash it's bios, and if i did it wrong it would be unrecoverable. which the only experience I had at this time was updating once or twice a motherboards bios. So, dealing with this was an issue, I am still unsure if I have to flash a HBA into "IT" mode if i am able to do this today. So, the 10 sata ports was a god send no HBA to deal with.

I was also aware that nvidia GPU's required a copy of the cards bios to work, there was not a lot of news regarding the issue with AMD cards.

USB controllers for pass through are a pain, yes.  Some work great and others not so much.  Again, we really do wish the hardware vendors would standardize on this stuff so it would just work, but because this is a newer use-case, not all vendors treat it with the same respect.  As for the HBA, if the device you're buying is a full-on RAID controller, then yes, you need to flash the firmware to IT mode to turn it into a straight HBA.  You can google search for guides on how to do this, but this isn't something we at Lime Tech can directly support as it is something you are doing to your hardware.  https://www.google.com/search?q=flash+hba+it+mode+guide&rlz=1C1GCEA_enUS744US745&oq=flash+hba+it+mode+guide&aqs=chrome..69i57j33i160.3185j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

So, why is unraid being advertised as bring life to an older pc for NAS work, at point of time (2017/18) saying the higher consumer grade stuff would work well for VM workloads?

Because it does!  Just because you're having problems with your hardware doesn't negate what the software can do with the right equipment.  The vast majority of our users have had great success with the platform.  I definitely feel bad that you have gotten stuck with the wrong equipment, but that doesn't negate what the software can do with the right equipment.

Which, I do not get that an I7 4.*GHz capable around 3000-3600Mhz DDR4 Ram that has to be pinned at 2444mhz because servers can not take overclocking, this to was not clear to me at the start. that took a few months to find that little gem out.

I'm not sure what you're saying here.  You can overclock, but it's not recommended to do that on servers because overclocking inherently can be more risky to system stability, which isn't something you should be messing around with if the system is a server storing all of your most important data and running critical applications.  Overclocking is really for straight gaming PCs that offer little to no risk to loss of personal data in the event they crash.

which cost me more due to I was proswaided in upgrading the PSU from 850watts to the 100watt psi that it is using now.

Not sure who persuaded you to buying a 1000 watt PSU, but power requirements for a system can be determined pretty easily by the type and quantity of GPUs you intend to install.

When I looked at the power draw again, when I was questioning the load the 1000Watt psi with the 1070ti added the PSU it is around 5-600 watt load (at the time I was questioning this due to I never saw the gpu fans spin, now I have). The motherboards chipset is a Z chipset? The PCIe version was 3, which both GPU's are PCIe 4 was only released end of last year. 

Not sure what this has to do with your issue with the VM, but yeah, that load seems accurate for a 1070ti.

Third paragraph: Now i am really facing a time pressure now (I will explain further on), Secondly This is the 1st time I have heard of the parts chosen is a bad combination, I really, really could of done with this advice at lot sooner.

I wish we could have provided it sooner but how would we?  We don't have the ability to test every hardware combination out there but when someone has tried as much as you have and you just can't get it to work, clearly there is something amiss with the hardware.  Again, we have lots of other users for which everything works just fine, so I'm not sure what to tell you other than until someone buys a specific set of gear and shows that it isn't functional, we just don't know that.

CPU gudiance = I3 good for NAS work, I5 heavier NAS work going towards Media server, I7 for gaming vm's.  My use case is not gaming but it is photo editing and using a application that is resource heavy the zoom text which is an application to assist me in using the windows operating system.

Pretty solid guidance except I wouldn't say i7 is just for gaming VMs, I'd say its for power users that want a high-performance local desktop experience in a VM.  So that kind of covers your use case.  Again, CPU isn't your issue here.

Mac used to be very good at this 2009/10 around then with there basic black and white OS and the voice over was really leading edge which now the apple accessibility has been superseded by the third party applications. mac access ability options are now similar to vista's accessibility support in comparison. now that they are introducing a lot more colour into their menu system and the over use of transparencies. I am now really having to think what OS I am going to have used. Linux is looking really impressive on the ability to chop and change to be able to pat it to something useable, but it a lot of code work and at a level that I am plainly not at, also it still is not really able to run the main programs I use like microsoft's office i have tried 2003, 2004, 2010, 2016 and none was able to work through wine and by extension the play on linux wine based application. in regards to photo editing linux's main application is GIMP photoshops applications seem to be a no go. I have even noticed that the typical fonts are not present ( but i am guessing that these issue are due to licensing).

so with this in mind it looks like I will have to go back to windows and the third party assistive applications. which the windows vm would of done and since it is VM's on unraid would give me the choice to work on the linux OS, think apple there I say it?

This is another good example of why you're not getting more feedback here in the forum.  This entire paragraph really belongs on a reddit post somewhere ;-).  This doesn't have anything to do with your VM issues or support.  Again, we really need to stay focused on the issues here with Unraid, not other programs and whatnot.  I appreciate that you want to explain yourself, but it just slows down the process of getting you the help you need when you go off track like this.  Let's stay focused on the issues with your VMs, k?

so, it is got to be clear now why I choose unraid to run the NAS and a desktop pc that I would be able to use. Now as you said it's 2021 and I have been working on this machine through plaining and what spec's are required to run what I require, since 2017/18 which has been 4 or 5 years ago now.

I managed to scrape enough together for the Nvidia card this month. I have no more to spend for a long time now.

Understood.  The NVIDIA card was a wise investment.  It is definitely not the reason you're having issues unless it's been physically damaged or something like that (which I doubt is the case).

Since where I work has change it's environment 

with a lot of white LED lighting, which are set on a motion sensor so the lights flash on it like an off camera flash going off. combined with making text smaller and smaller on paper work which is set to Economy so there is very little contrast in the printouts. So much so that I am being pushed out of work where I have been working in for 13years. Given how hard the job market is for abled bodied people the likely hood of someone like myself finding work again, all I say is slim bordering on the very. To make matters worse I had to transfer the licence key over end of last year so I am stuck until the end of December when the time is up and I can move the key free of charge. Because I won't have enough to acquire another unraid pro licence. 

I'm really sorry to hear about your work situation.  That has to be really difficult.  That said, why do you need to transfer over the license to a new USB?  Is there something wrong with your current one?  If so, this is the first we're hearing of it.

As I said all the information I had until now was saying this configuration was possible. 

Who and where did you get information saying that your specific motherboard/hardware selection was compatible for this use-case?  Did you have a friend recommend this build?  Did you find a post on reddit or something?  The one thing that confuses me is that there have definitely been multiple build guides out there for years which provided lists of equipment to purchase to specifically get this use-case going.  Could you not find those or were you just hoping that this particular hardware would work because it checked the generic boxes of "Intel-based CPU, motherboard with enough SATA ports, etc."?

regarding spacesaver one's videos please do not miss understand me His video's are a great help to me and I guess many others, but to my knowledge he has only talked about three issues regarding GPU's through his two part guide to windows vm's and advanced Passthrough techniques.

• 1) no video at boot, suggestion pass through the gpu bios rom file. not if you done that and still no video.
  • 2) demonic sound Suggestion use MSI interrupts to fix. which is not much help when the vm is not booting.
  • 3) still having issues, suggestion Q35 which he explains how and where the setting is, then he goes on to "I boot my server in legacy mode" in his opinion that EUFI mode brings very little to none advantages for EUFI where legacy offers more support this is where he ends this guide and did not say how he got that option.

He covers the common issues that come up and some of the fixes that work for those issues, but there are still some combinations of hardware that just don't work for one reason or another.  As far as "I boot my server in legacy mode", he's referring to booting Unraid itself.  If you boot Unraid in UEFI mode, it can be more problematic for GPU pass through.  The option to toggle to boot in legacy mode should be available in your motherboard BIOS.  Another way to check which way you're booting is to go to the Flash Device Settings page and at the bottom it will tell you which way you are booting and offer a checkbox to toggle UEFI booting of the server itself:

image.png

because I do not know how I cannot try it out to see if it helps, or if I should if making the chance puts the NAS side at risk.

but like his mac in a box videos and the passthroughs videos like the m.2 he did go into detail how to get it to work, but less content on what if's and troubleshooting. 

I think he's provided as much information as he can regarding this, but again, if it still doesn't work, it's likely a hardware-specific issue that can't be solved with BIOS tweaks or configuration changes to the OS.  Sometimes the hardware is just a bad apple.

So I am basically being told that the expensive hardware that I had brought over time is useless! :(

Not useless, but possibly oversold on what it could actually do.  I am honestly shocked that you have found an ASRock product that doesn't work well for this use-case.  I've never had issues with them in the past, so I'm really at a loss here.

Is there a unknown good 7th intel gen LGA1151 DDR4 PCIe gen 3 ATX motherboard??? because that might be the only path I have left.

The motherboard I'm using with my i7-7700k is a Gigabyte H270M-D3SH-CF.  Given how old this hardware is, I'm not sure where you'll find it for resale at this point, but I know this one works with pass through on my setup with an EVGA NVIDIA Geforce 1080 Ti.

Unless there is an known good AMD CPU and motherboard around the £300 mark that will work with the Ram (48Gb of Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4 2666MHz) and GPU's (either the Raideon RX 580 or the Nvidia 1070it)

At this point I would stay far away from AMD CPUs/motherboards.  You're just asking for more challenges with the pass through if you go down this path.

I know the key can be transferred but I have data on the array is there a way of plugging in these knew good drives with the data still safe and useable,

when plugging into the know good motherboard?

What new good drives?  I'm confused where new drives are coming from now.  Generally speaking you can move all of your hardware to a new motherboard and boot it up just fine.  You will have to reconfigure your VFIO stubbing and the PCI devices you're assigning to VMs as their identifiers will change, but the storage will all mount correctly automatically.

Also how to setup a HBA and how to get that into IT mode since I will be moving away from the onboard 10 sata ports???

Google is your friend here.  Find the card you want, then search for the guide on how to flash to IT mode.

Trying my best!!

Hello 

1st Hello.

What about with the NVIDIA card?

what I was trying to here this is way, way back around the time that I started out working on the VM part of the PC.

I had to vm's on the go one had the AMD card, the m.2 and the usb card. The other vm was all VNC with no passed through hardware

the hardware no surprise now failed, but the  all VNC did.

Now to answer your question. Yes I have when I when I got the card I started with an i440fx win10 vm with USB pass through.

then I added the m.2 cloned the vdisk drive to the m.2 and put the clover image in the location of the original vdisk, this is when I recently reported in that I have managed to get the M.2 disk working for the 1st time ever! Then when I added the new Nvidia 1070it to the mix, this is when I got a none booting black screen even tho the Bios rom (that i edited to remove nvidia's header )was passed through. which was a blow due to I was so close yet so far.

Now to further add: 

out of the four VM's that I tried most recently, since I did not know which machine type to use.

I had an VNC ((1) being i440fx v4.2) (2) being an Q35 v4.2) with only the USB card passed through and these where the Vm's that booted even after a few server restarts.

Totally fine!  7700k isn't the issue here.  The CPU works for virtualization and pass through as I have one in one of my test systems at home.

the other Vm's (3) being the i440fx v4.2 with the USB and the Nvidia card, this VM was fine to setup the VNC part the day later when I added the Nvidia card the webgui froze mid change and he screen(web interface) was stuck and when refreshed the nvidia card was not applied. so scarped that vm and tried again same settings but name 3a. VM 4 didn't remained frozen and the card was passed through but this VM type was Q35 v4.2. the outcome was still the same the black blank screen. Agreed.

So passing through the USB card works on any VM you try it with, correct?  No issues after reboots of the VM or the host?

Yes the USB card didn't seem to be an issue with the VNC but the Passed through GPU VM's where not booting with the Nvidia card.

but the USB still worked when I had the AMD GPU installed and with Q35 VM's i was able to move the mouse and interact with the keyboard that was connected to the USB card..

it just seemed odd that there seemed to be a time limit before the VM locked up (when a GPU was passed through) or when I was installing the GPU driver the moment it started to install the GPU driver the screen blinked then went black.

the M.2 I know it is doable on i440fx I am not sure about q35. The thing that catches me out is the fact when I turn on the sever is double checking the bios boot sequence, because if that is not changed back to the usb key it will boot windows and the disk for the vm is corrupted.

I think what you're saying here is that if you try to install Windows directly to the M.2 drive, sometimes your motherboard BIOS doesn't respect the settings you have configured to boot from USB, and it boots from the M.2 drive instead (directly into Windows).  But you're saying when it tries to do this (a physical booting of the previous virtual machine), the boot itself corrupts the underlying storage and when you finally get rebooted into Unraid and then try to launch the VM, the VM won't boot anymore because it is "corrupted"?  How did you determine it was corrupted?  What did you see when it tried to boot bare metal and what do you see when you try to boot it as a VM again?

No you are sort of there. 

This is where I have a VNC vm and a disk in domains. I then had to clone the vdisk inside the vm on to the passed through M.2 this works fine.

now here is the bother. when I am done and powered down the server, the next server boot the motherboards bios detects the windows OS on the m.2 and it rearranges it boot order and moves the m.2 to the 1st thing in the boot list so the unraid USB is placed 2nd or 3rd. If I do not catch this and enter the bios and move the USB with unraid on to the top. the pc boots into windows using on board graphics and the cloned vdisk is then corrupted and no longer boots.

and like I am not sure if Q35 and the clover image work together?

but sometimes with a vm and m.2 the vm booting sees the clover image and then the QMU agent is not installed screen?

"is not installed screen"?  I'm not sure what that means.  I know you said you have some difficulty with words, but you're probably going to need to slow down a bit, re-read what you write, and then post.  There may be a lot getting lost in these paragraphs.

Yes sometimes I have had this screen appear when I cloned to the M.2 the vdisk with windows on. when I powered down the vm to the sever and swapped out the original vdisk with the clover image. When I power on that vm I get a black screen with a single line of text stating that the vm has got got the QMU agent installed, and the Vm would not proceed any further.

That makes sense.  Passing through the entire controller does make things a lot easier.

Yep, and the USB card doesn't seem to have an issue.

Paragraph one really didn't have anything to do with AMD vs. Intel.  I was highlighting the fact that back then, even Intel VT-d was problematic for some combinations of hardware.  I think a lot of that has been fleshed out since then, but the point remains that in 2017, hardware vendors didn't do the greatest job of verifying advanced virtualization functionality on consumer-grade chipsets. Yes I got that point I was talking on the point raised about good and bad combinations. which also raised in the same paragraph.

t has taken me this long to get the parts together to build the machine this was done in mid/late 2020.

This does confuse me a bit.  Why not just wait until you have the budget to buy all the parts and then get something modern in 2020?  Why buy them over time?  Each component loses a bit of value over time, so if you buy a CPU today, a motherboard 6 months from now, the RAM 3 months after that, etc...by the time you've got all the parts, the build is worth less than half what you spent for it up front.  I guess its a little late now, but just curious why you went about it this way.

It just seemed logical at the time, when waiting for parts and buying the lot when the parts where not really available, the Ram shortage and the on going new gpu shortage, and now over in the south of the UK I have noticed there is not a lot of high wattage PSU's around. Hence why if i could get the part there and then.

Have you checked for BIOS updates / reviewed all your BIOS settings?  Is Above 4G Decoding an option for you and if so, is it turned on?

4G Decoding??? I have applied the latest bios to the motherboard. I know I have the virtualisation technologies enabled and I have the primary graphics set to on board the Ram is set at 2444mhz, finally I know I have two boot items the unraid os and the USB key set as the unraid as boot option 1 and the USB as option 2. 

Makes sense why you choose that board. Thank you :)

USB controllers for pass through are a pain, yes.  Some work great and others not so much.  Again, we really do wish the hardware vendors would standardize on this stuff so it would just work, but because this is a newer use-case, not all vendors treat it with the same respect.  As for the HBA, if the device you're buying is a full-on RAID controller, then yes, you need to flash the firmware to IT mode to turn it into a straight HBA.  You can google search for guides on how to do this, but this isn't something we at Lime Tech can directly support as it is something you are doing to your hardware.  https://www.google.com/search?q=flash+hba+it+mode+guide&rlz=1C1GCEA_enUS744US745&oq=flash+hba+it+mode+guide&aqs=chrome..69i57j33i160.3185j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

https://www.google.com/search?q=flash+hba+it+mode+guide&rlz=1C1GCEA_enUS744US745&oq=flash+hba+it+mode+guide&aqs=chrome..69i57j33i160.3185j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Yep, that is why I went with the one I have. but HBA I thought it had to be flashed so that unraid has access to the smart data?

Okay unraid doesn't support but it looks like has to happen? Or is there an HBA that doesn't require flashing for it to work with unraid???

if so I would be an eye out for one, because as I said I am not confident with code.

So, why is unraid being advertised as bring life to an older pc for NAS work, at point of time (2017/18) saying the higher consumer grade stuff would work well for VM workloads?

Because it does!  Just because you're having problems with your hardware doesn't negate what the software can do with the right equipment.  The vast majority of our users have had great success with the platform.  I definitely feel bad that you have gotten stuck with the wrong equipment, but that doesn't negate what the software can do with the right equipment.

Just a shame that unraid doesn't seem to publish the good combinations for most use cases, it would of helped be out.

CPU gudiance = I3 good for NAS work, I5 heavier NAS work going towards Media server, I7 for gaming vm's.  My use case is not gaming but it is photo editing and using a application that is resource heavy the zoom text which is an application to assist me in using the windows operating system.

Pretty solid guidance except I wouldn't say i7 is just for gaming VMs, I'd say its for power users that want a high-performance local desktop experience in a VM.  So that kind of covers your use case.  Again, CPU isn't your issue here.

okay, agreed.

Mac used to be very good at this 2009/10 around then with there basic black and white OS.............

This is another good example of why you're not getting more feedback here in the forum.  This entire paragraph really belongs on a reddit post somewhere ;-).  This doesn't have anything to do with your VM issues or support.  Again, we really need to stay focused on the issues here with Unraid, not other programs and whatnot.  I appreciate that you want to explain yourself, but it just slows down the process of getting you the help you need when you go off track like this.  Let's stay focused on the issues with your VMs, k?

I was trying to point why I was moving from and what direction moving forward and why the VM's would help in this switching nature.

as it will not have the dual /triple booting issues and that if fails or no longer need the Vm is merely deleted from the host.

I managed to scrape enough together for the Nvidia card this month. I have no more to spend for a long time now.

Understood.  The NVIDIA card was a wise investment.  It is definitely not the reason you're having issues unless it's been physically damaged or something like that (which I doubt is the case). :) 

Since where I work has change it's environment............. 

I'm really sorry to hear about your work situation.  That has to be really difficult.  That said, why do you need to transfer over the license to a new USB?  Is there something wrong with your current one?  If so, this is the first we're hearing of it.

I did not know about unraid and servers as a whole do like the factory overlocks (the XMP) i knew that XMP is an overclock and when I was looking at the some of the other builds that have been shared some had higher rem speeds than 2444mhz. But when I first got the machine together with the unraid 6.9 which was in beta I got told to move to 6.8 but yet the system was crashing or locking. Someone thought it was all the drives spinning up with the system boot up the power draw in their view was over 850watts so I got the 1000watts supply now. and I have the time limit imposed that unpaid would let transfer the key to something else until a year has passed. and I had to transfer the key to 6.8 and this was set/oct time and I recall asking for vm guidance anything came.

i now feel like it was the ram OC was the issue, but all this is totally new and at the time a steep learning curve.

Who and where did you get information saying that your specific motherboard/hardware selection was compatible for this use-case?  Did you have a friend recommend this build?  Did you find a post on reddit or something?  The one thing that confuses me is that there have definitely been multiple build guides out there for years which provided lists of equipment to purchase to specifically get this use-case going.  Could you not find those or were you just hoping that this particular hardware would work because it checked the generic boxes of "Intel-based CPU, motherboard with enough SATA ports, etc."?

the unraid sight itself, you tube videos, reddits, pc hardware bloggers. I then matched what i can and went for the same chipset in a motherboard that i could obtain, the 8thgen x299 and thread ripper was not out then and was a lot more rumour. hence why i have the 7th gen base motherboard and CPU.

If had seen the known to work good combinations for this use case, I would of being steered in that direction.

regarding spacesaver one's videos please do not miss understand me His video's are a great help to me and..............

He covers the common issues that come up and some of the fixes that work for those issues, but there are still some combinations of hardware that just don't work for one reason or another.  As far as "I boot my server in legacy mode", he's referring to booting Unraid itself.  If you boot Unraid in UEFI mode, it can be more problematic for GPU pass through.  The option to toggle to boot in legacy mode should be available in your motherboard BIOS.  Another way to check which way you're booting is to go to the Flash Device Settings page and at the bottom it will tell you which way you are booting and offer a checkbox to toggle UEFI booting of the server itself:

yep that is it! :) thank you, thank you I will try this option! Now i know where that option is hiding. :) 

So I am basically being told that the expensive hardware that I had brought over time is useless! 

Not useless, but possibly oversold on what it could actually do.  I am honestly shocked that you have found an ASRock product that doesn't work well for this use-case.  I've never had issues with them in the past, so I'm really at a loss here. Yep so am I, and stuck.

The motherboard I'm using with my i7-7700k is a Gigabyte H270M-D3SH-CF.  Given how old this hardware is, I'm not sure where you'll find it for resale at this point, but I know this one works with pass through on my setup with an EVGA NVIDIA Geforce 1080 Ti.

Right gigabyte H270M-D3SH-CF right I will try and see if I can find one.

Unless there is an known good AMD CPU and motherboard around the £300 mark that will work with the Ram (48Gb of Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4 2666MHz) and GPU's (either the Raideon RX 580 or the Nvidia 1070it)

At this point I would stay far away from AMD CPUs/motherboards.  You're just asking for more challenges with the pass through if you go down this path.

Right okay, consider me warned thank you.

when plugging into the know good motherboard?

What new good drives?  I'm confused where new drives are coming from now.  Generally speaking you can move all of your hardware to a new motherboard and boot it up just fine.  You will have to reconfigure your VFIO stubbing and the PCI devices you're assigning to VMs as their identifiers will change, but the storage will all mount correctly automatically.

Sorry, I there is a mix up here. I mean the drives I current have installed and working( known good because there has been no errors on the array and the smart data is saying all are healthy (part from one that I had to get RMA back to seagate who shipped out another replacement drive but this is old history.

what I was asking like the key can be transferred, is there away of transplanting the array with all the data and setting across to a new board, safely???

I am not over concerned about transplanting the VM's as I have none that are variable at the moment.

Also how to setup a HBA and how to get that into IT mode since I will be moving away from the onboard 10 sata ports???

Google is your friend here.  Find the card you want, then search for the guide on how to flash to IT mode.

I know I am reacting myself here, but I without think put it again. sorry.

but is there any good HBA's to lookout for or one's that I should avoid?

Trying my best!!

and I am really do thank you for your advice, but reading the last post late yesterday I was at despair, basically being told the hardware picked that was not highlighted as bad, is more than likely never going to be able to run a VM in the way which it is intended. given that I am having to fight tooth and claw to stay in employment  Because the worst point is that the employer is one or not the biggest in the area, and I am not able to travel far to due to my sight and the trigger for the migraines. On the same token I have family who also require help and so I am not really able to move to another area.

So, if the biggest employer would not help, how this is going to have an impact on a smaller from hiring, realistically??

So I will go and try the legacy mode, see if this makes a change.

Sorry, but I am going to have to ask, yet again, sorry.

Are there any known good intel cpu motherboard combinations for VM work, around £300-400 if I am very very lucky £500???

I will also try and find the gigabyte board.

And thanks again, I am really am, thank you for help and advise, 

Hello I have had a look around the Z170 Z270 H270 H370/B360 chipsets for the socket and support seeing what is mentioned on the unraid site. 

Are of these motherboards known to work well / or motherboards to avoid?

I found your board 2nd hand from africa on eBay but if I miss that one is any of the below is known good?

Asus prime Z170 Deluxe

Asus prime Z170- pro gaming (6th 7th gen via bios update)

Asus Z170-a 

Asus prime H370 (8th gen). 

MSI H270 TOMAHAWK ARCTIC

MSI B360-A PRO (8th gen)

MSI Z170A PC MATE (6th 7th via bios update)

ASrock B365 Pro4 (8th gen)

gigabyte GA-Z270X-Gaming 9 (rev. 1.0) (7th/8thgen)

gigabyte GA-Z270X-UD3 (rev. 1.0) (7th/8thgen)

gigabyte GA-H270M-DS3H (rev. 1.0) (6th/7th gen)

gigabyte GA-Z270M-D3H (rev. 1.0)

gigabyte GA-H270-HD3P (rev. 1.0) (6th/7th gen)

I am thinking if I get a new known to work board for the 7700K if not then it is looking like I am going to have spend more out for the 8th gen 8700/8700K.

It is a shame that asrock Z270 taichi has been a royal pain in the ..... for the VM side of things.

Which I do require the VM to run. But I am still going to test again since i got the thing to boot into legacy mode today.

But if any thoughts if I miss the motherboard you have for your 7700K from Africa on eBay are insight is going to be very helpful.

Hi again,

Unfortunately when it comes to hardware recommendations, we only can tell you what we've personally tested and used, which I have.  Anything outside of that and you're relying on the community to help you.  I would consider posting in the Hardware forum and instead of talking about this issue you've been having, simply describe, in as few words as possible, what you want and ask for some hardware suggestions.

Did anything progress after you got switched to booting in Legacy mode?

Okay, I get that. It is just trying to get a couple of fall back sugeestions.

Due to the only gigabyte board identical to yours, that I could find is a refurbish one over in africa selling on ebay but as a combo deal as it is being sold with an I5 7400, which is not required here, since i have the i7 already. it is being sold for £250 plus an additional £50 for P&P.

I also had a quick look on you tube as well which didn't return to many hits for 7700K and unraid, the main hit was an old linus video where they where doing someething simualler to me but with half the drives. the thing that got me they talked through a simple array setup and a simple Vm setup but they didn't show the screen they where more intend shoewing the tow working on the sytem which blocked the cameras view of the screen, which makes me thionk what aren't they showing to get the vm to work?

the board the they used was an Asus Z170 deluxe, and I recall you saying that you and others had issue with Asus boards around the time, so I am not to sure if this is anopther possibility? but they where a few of these boards oon ebay around the £150 mark and one a for a lot more on amazon currently.

I also had a look at the others vendors that feautred the Z170/270 and with 8th gen Z370 and the same H chipset in your board. I know you said same chipset but differing vendorss, different implermentations. I was hoping if any rang a bell either good or to stay well clear.

and if you could pass a link to the hardware forum, please?

I have tried the same vms that where created when the system was in EUFI boot, and yet the same outcome VNC graphics still work, but the passthrough graphics was still resulting in black blank screens and on this montior triggered the cable is not detected screen, which it was just that there was no signal.

but, I also found that over setting you orginally mentioned that I have not even heard of before, the above 4G encodeing, I had to goolge what is function was and i have now have that enabled too. but i havew not had chance to see if it has any impact on the passthrougfh GPU. My honest gut feeling is that it will still be VNC graphics yes, 10170ti no.

but I hope i am wrong here, I we llet you know as soon as I test it out.

Thank  you for getting back to me

As jonathanm stated, trying all the various inputs is another way to go.

Another thing you can try is to get the VM fully set up with VNC graphics.  Then install some type of remote desktop client in the VM.  Then switch the VM from VNC graphics to your NVIDIA card and start the VM.  Even if the monitor is still black, you should be able to connect in to the VM using a remote desktop client (either teamviewer, realvnc, or any other platform you're comfortable with).  From there, you can see if there is an issue with the driver loading or not.  If the card shows present in device manager and driver loaded, but the screen is still black, again, try what jonathanm suggested by utilizing the different inputs.

If none of that works, I really don't know what to tell you from here.  Clearly we have an insane amount of users that are utilizing GPU pass through in VMs.  There are countless youtube videos of folks having great success with this.  I really don't know what's unique or wrong with your setup to prevent you from making further progress.  I feel like you're problem missing something somewhere.  Did you try enabling the VFIO allow unsafe interrupts option on the VM Manager page (turn on Advanced View in the top right to discover that)?  I doubt that's the issue, but if it is, you'll need to turn that on, reboot, and try again.

UEFI booting the base OS has been known to cause issues with VMs and GPU pass through, but now that you are in legacy boot mode (which btw, you need to configure in your BIOS as well), everything should be working.

As a last resort, if you want to schedule a services session with us, you can do so here:  https://unraid.net/services but I warn you, there are no guarantees that we can get it to work, but if you want me to remote into your environment and give it a whirl, that is the method we offer folks to schedule a session and it's not cheap ;-(.

Am I misremembering or didn't you say you had a friend that is using the same exact hardware/setup and not having any problems?  Maybe give them a buzz and have them come over to review your setup?

Hello 

I see what you mean about outputs, on the old monitor that I did have developed a cracked screen. So I having to make do with a borrowed screen until the end of the month when the replacement should turn up. but I am a little stuck as the screen is VGA, DVI and HMDI.

the graphics card is three display ports and 1 HMDI. So I only have the HMDI to work with at the moment.

I would of thought that output would work as the others are not in use.

all i have is VNC viewer on the laptop to view the VNC graphics but soon as I change to the 1070 that VNC function ends.

I have used team viewer the free version and I would be stuck since the program changes the alphanumeric code after each boot I would do see the new code to connect to it via the remote connection.

The unraid server says it is booting up in legacy mode, I remember going into the legacy option and giving priority to the USB key in that menu.

with the unraid os saying it is booted in legacy mode. I think i must of done something right.

I will certainly consider that option to for a service session. I may have to at this rate.

Yes I have a friend who has a unread server. the other similarity is that we both use intel. He is reusing their old gaming rig and again half the drives on their array.

and i think their gpu is an smaller sized 1060. His experience everything just worked first time, What I have being seeing has got him stumped.

Since there are new to unread and he knew I was looking for a reliable vm with nas diy solution.

Has Jonathann got any motherboard suggestions that work with an 7700K?

where do I go / find the hardware forum?

1 hour ago, Rovivrus said:

I have used team viewer the free version and I would be stuck since the program changes the alphanumeric code after each boot

Use nomachine instead.

1 hour ago, Rovivrus said:

the graphics card is three display ports and 1 HMDI. So I only have the HMDI to work with at the moment.

DP to HDMI converters are fairly cheap.

hello.

Use nomachine instead. Okay I will try that.

DP to HDMI converters are fairly cheap. Yes but none at hand I am putting on on order now.

By any chance do you know of any known good 7700K and motherboard combinations???

Jonp came up with one and I can only find one refurbished gigabyte H270M-D3SH-CF motherboard which is being sold in africa.

I am just after another suggestion as a fall back on if I miss this that particular board.

Hello.

I have added the video card to the vms and the machines both started so the web gui is showing but they are not appearing in no machine and nothing through the HDMI cable ether. just like before but they should display on the nomachine? if this is the case what can be causing the unraid to think to s working but the machine itself is not booting?

Hello.

Yes I did that i installed on vnc using vnc veiwer shutr the vm down and started it up again and logged in with nomachine.

and it worked. So, power down and added the 1070ti ande powered on the vm unraid webgui said it was running but not video and no machine in the nomachine's main window. :(

I have done this for both the new vm's the i440frx and the q35 both v4.2 and the only other thing added to the vms was the usb card, (vm's are labelled 1 & 2 on the above pics).

Hello.

I am going to try and get the refurbished gigabyte H270M-D3SH-CF motherboard tomorrow.

I have not seen another of this motherboard out there to buy.

If this is the only way then there is no other option.

I would concider the remopte service session but I am really concerned about the cost, since all i know about the service is "there are no guarantees" and "it's not cheap".

Unless anyone has another suggeestions?

I have got it booting in Legacy now rather than the EUFI

Because the VM's work with VNC Graphics accesed by real VNC and nomachine, but soon as I added the 1070ti to the either VM. The outcome being, there is no video signal. When I try to acess the VM by starting up the nomachine program, the VM's are not displaying in the main widow of the program. So the VM's are not acessable or veiwableb through the passed through hardware or remote access, when a GPU is passed through???

For known good motherboard combonations with an 17 7700k?

For asa fall back if I miss the gigabyte motherboard.

Are any of these know to work with a large unraid arry and have working VMs?

Are are the same Chip set as the  gigabyte H270M-D3SH-CF would these be a vaid option?

• gigabyte GA-H270-HD3P (rev. 1.0) (6th/7th gen)
  • gigabyte GA-H270M-DS3H (rev. 1.0) (6th/7th gen)
  • MSI H270 TOMAHAWK ARCTIC

The top one of these Z270 Chipset motherboards I found in a youtube guide showing unraid use case. The motherboard used question, dose it have known problems with VM's or Is it known good? (video:

• Asus prime Z170 Deluxe
  • Asus prime Z170- pro gaming (6th 7th gen via bios update)
  • Asus Z170-a 
  • MSI Z170A PC MATE (6th 7th via bios update)

These a are the same chipset as my current motherbooard the ASrock Z270 Tacihi, but are theses known to work?

• gigabyte GA-Z270X-Gaming 9 (rev. 1.0) (7th/8thgen)
  • gigabyte GA-Z270X-UD3 (rev. 1.0) (7th/8thgen)
  • gigabyte GA-Z270M-D3H (rev. 1.0)

I know these are 8th gen but if I miss the gigabyte motherboard and 7th gen is not good are any of these known to work with an i7 of a simular clock speed to the 7700K?

• Asus prime H370 (8th gen).
  • MSI B360-A PRO (8th gen)
  • ASrock B365 Pro4 (8th gen)

If swapping out the motherboard is the only way. Is it possible to transplant this current array into the other motherboard setup?

Secondly snice I had to transfer my lience key over back in Octoeber 2020, is there away of moving it across with out paying for another pro lience, since it is under 12 months since I last transferred my key?

I really, really need to get the VM's to be relieable. I have been without desktop Since I put the server together?

Please, pleas help!

Enclosed Are the VM 1&2 templates and codes vm manager and the vfio plugin pages and the current downl;oad able diganostics.

1 VM Code.pdf 1 vm log.pdf 1 Vm template.pdf 2 Vm code.pdf 2 VM log.pdf 2 Vm Template.pdf VFIO Plug Page Current.pdf VM Manager.pdf monolith-diagnostics-20210208-0110.zip

3 minutes ago, Rovivrus said:

Is it possible to transplant this current array into the other motherboard setup?

Secondly snice I had to transfer my lience key over back in Octoeber 2020, is there away of moving it across with out paying for another pro lience, since it is under 12 months since I last transferred my key?

Just move all the drives, boot USB included, to the new board. No need for a new license, it follows the USB key.