Help!!! (I cannot get windows vm to run)

Rovivrus

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there,

Sorry to hear you have to wait so long to get the replacement board.  Hoping everything works out for you!  As far as where to install the SATA controller, I would NOT use the first PCIe slot.  I would use a secondary slot as you will not saturate PCIe 16x speed for storage anyway.  A GPU is better suited in that primary slot.  As far as recommendations on HBAs, you should check out the hardware forum:  https://forums.unraid.net/forum/9-hardware/

Hello.

that is what, i thoought but i was not sure puttinmg the gpu ist and the storage card in 2nd.

Thank you I will ask the question to the form (https://forums.unraid.net/forum/9-hardware/) for their suggestions on sata/HBA cards something tells me HBA due to the number of drives, and any other known motherboards work ell with the 7700k :) Thanks again.

I will keep this post updated, when they happen (emperhsis on when).

It is a shame that the ASrock Z70 Tacihi dosen't work with vms. with the on board 10 sata 3 ports and the normal number of PCIe slots looked like an ideal board for the task, it even had an on board usb port ideal for the unraid USB key as wel; :( 

Hopefully, finger crossed the NAS side keeps going and working VM's.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, again sorry.

The Gigabyte mother board had fallen through as the seller refunded me , apparently the seller had sold the board before and had totally forgotten all about it being up on ebay :(

In the meantime I being searching to find other motherbaords that are known to work with the 7700K:

I have come across an article from 2017 that was concerning I am wondering is this still an issue currently.

the focus being on intel's 7th gen chipsets that had an error with hyper threading?

on these searches the manufacture supermicro kept cropping up.

I am wondering if there motherboards news (good or bad)on their C7Z270-cg, c7z270-pg or c7z170-0ce, as possible leads?

There is an c7z170-sq board but I am having to rule this one out due to my vision and the motherboard using a lot of red on the board.

The only other possible lead is the you tuber nas and two vm bulid using an asus prime z170 deluxe, but I am not sure if it was plane sailing for them or they did they have to put alot of work into it, to get it to function.

Hi there,

Unfortunately I really have no ideas on how to guide you purchasing hardware from that far back.  I wish I could give you a bulletproof answer so you can buy with confidence, but short of us purchasing all that gear and testing it ourselves, I can't guarantee anything.  You'll just have to do some research and decide for yourself which is the best option at this point.

Hello,

I would settle advice on features to look out for or what is more likely to work like brands, chipsets that our more likely compatible or ones to avoid. to be steered towards the right path, as it where.

I have been doing some reading on this subject more on the forum than anywhere else. Most of the posts when describing their systems mention, CPU, Ram, GPU if required and drivers and interface cards without mentioning the piece of the puzzle I am after the motherboard. and when they do it turns out the article is more focused on a sever based system so no call for vm. when the odd motherboard is mentioned it is a case of someone asking a question, which didn't get answered. When I look up Z170/270 chipsets it is people debating a server class set ups, or a guy asking for advice on a 3D vm with two other vm's running side by side. There was another hit regarding these cheap sets that back in 2017 there seemed to be an error in the CPU code and made things go wrong whilst running OS like unraid and the only work around was to disable hyper threading!? I am really hoping now that in 2021 the BIOS patch has been added into a new version back in 2017? Which the ASRock Z270 Taichi latest BIOS Update was early march 2018 (v2.30), which I have running on the machine at this present moment.

Speaking of boards:

I found and tested the following:

with the following CPU: i5 7500 Ram: 8GB Ballistix DDR4 2400mhz (2x4Gb)kit GPU: Sapphire Pulse AMD RAIDEON  RX580 & The EVGA Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070ti PSU Corsair CV 650 and the only the one drive a Crucial BX500 240 GB.

As you know the promising lead of the gigabyte board vanished when the guy had sold it before and got about the Ebay listing.

SuperMicro C7Z270-CG-L I was really hoping it was just the *-CG version as it was listed.

I was really disappointed with this board as it was not stable at all it to kept locking up outside the BIOS 

this was during boot to a USB OS installer (a USB 2 16Gb flash drive), or to the blank SSD.

I put the board under a microscope and found no visible defects. So was unable to load an OS! :(

I also followed up on the board that was in a you video (ASUS Z170 deluxe). and it acted just as it should of done when I installed windows onto it to double check that the video cards and the usb card works together. which it worked fine with both video cards. one after another with the use of DDU. 

Sadly I couldn't test the unraid configuration since I do not have a HBA to connect up the drives and I have one of the pre-flashed into it mode on the way too. so when it comes I can continue the test.

Then good news, a work college put up an add to sell their 9th gen PC! They are after a top of the line PC So we came to an agreement which they kept their expensive RGB ram and PSU and etc. and I got just the CPU and motherboard. these parts being an i7 9700k and a ASUS Prime Z390-A. and when trying out the cards on windows bare metal again everything installed and work just as you expect.

I wish I found this out sooner.

Or is there any known problems with the 9700k and the Asus Prime z390-a?

because i am now thinking use this 9th gen parts for the main nas.pc

and use the 7th gen as a media server?

Please let me know if I have made a mistake here?

Update:

Yesterday the HBA pre flashed appeared so I started creating a test server using the PCIe Expansion cards:

Slots used in order:

slot 1 a x1 slot so the usb 3 card has been placed.

slot 2 the 1st x16 slot that is where the GPU is Placed.

slot 3 a x1 slot not used due to GPU covering part of that slot depth.

Slot 4 the 2nd x16 on PCIe v3 so x8-4 one or the other, but the HBA is placed.

testing components:

PSU: CORSAIR CV650. (had a while for testing)

RAM: 8gb 2400mhz (x2 4Gb make Ballistixs, found really cheap on ebay 2nd hand).

STORAGE: X1 4TB HDD X1 2TB HDD & X1 SATA 2.5" SSD 240GB.

COOLING: AN OLD NOCTUA HEATSINK AND FAN. (I knew I had in trhe loft somewhere).

CPU: 7th gen I5 7500, 9th gen i7 9700k (Ebay on the extremely cheap for the i5, colleague work for the 9th gen i7).

MOTHERBOARDS:

SUPERMICRO C7Z270-CG-L, ASUS Z170 DELUXE,  ASUS PRIME Z390-A.

Ebay                                    amazon uk        Same colleague from work.

Refurbish "grade B".                       2nd hand          2nd hand known history.

GPUS: x1 EVGA 1070ti and the AMD Raideon Sapphire RX 580 (both with 8Gb video memory).

PCIe CARDS: x1 USB3 card and the HBA.

Windows as above, summery:

Supermicro ...CG-L: Would work getting to the bios and worked within the bios but any further in the boot up process would result in a complete lock up. So after trying different ports and usb drives even tried installing via dvd installation disk, offical and home made. Results still no go. no visible damage to hard ware.

Asus .... Deluxe: Installed windows as expected and both videos cards ran as how would expect and no issue installing the drivers.

Asus .... -A: installed windows as expected but the drivers was made really easy one piece of software that windows found and the drivers where installed. and both videos card ran without a problem.

hence the conclusion of acquire additional drives and case and we have both a work NAS & VM running as my desktop.

Now since we have most of the parts a media server but running off the ASUS Z170 deluxe.

So, Yesterday spent setting up the the ASUS Prime z390-a up as a test server with unraid, I wait for the sync to complete. and the additional plug-ins and set up a temporary share and user. but the hitch being this server is running 6.9 and the one I have and is the main server is running on 6.8! is there a way to upgrade to 6.9 since when I put the server together I had installed on a 6.9beta then downgraded too 6.8 is there a way of me to upgrade to 6.9 when I not sure that it has been a year between the two.

Today: is setting up the VM and testing the it.

I set up an i400fx* vm with 4 codes and 1/2 the ram (4GB) with the usb card passed through. This was insstalled onto a 240GB ssd which also was passed through using path:

/dev/disk/by-id/ata-CT240BX500SSD1_2045E4C4F00F

since I am happy with the whole drive being passed through.

the result being with the amd card lock up on boot when the gpu was passed through

the nvidia card not yet tested.

So I tried again with the Q35 machine and it install the amd card graphics driver without a hitch and did not freeze after installation.

so powered down and rebooted the VM and still works there is progress.

So now I have powered down the VM and server I have also turn the PSU off and have waited over an hour now I am going to try and start it up once more.

That to has worked this had never progressed this far before!

I am wondering do I call it a day here and leave this setup and see what happens over this coming week?

I am also thinking if i can get the 1070ti to work on the z170 deluxe i can use this system for a plex media server?

We have progress at the moment fingers crossed it is going to last. :)

Is there a way to bring the main server up to date ie 6.9 like the test server that seems to be working at the moment?

AMD GPU HOST.JPG

AMD GPU LATER ON Host.JPG

AMD GPU Later On System.JPG

AMD GPU Lock UP POINT.JPG

AMD GPU System At this time.JPG

AMD Later ON after Full system boot.JPG

Hello, A small up date just turned the server and power on the the VM. and it booted up a okay :)

it is still has the AMD Raaideon rx 580 in place, i am on going to give it a week and then do the same with the 1070ti.

but there is the variable of the test system is on the stable 6.9 release and the 7700k system with the issue regarding vms is on the stable 6.8.3 release.

I recall that there was a time limit of a year and it has not a year?

Because the date I moved the licence key from 6.9 beta to 6.8.3 was early October 2020 and the 9700k and AMD Raideon on the Asus Z390-A motherboard seem to be working fine on v6.9? 

Is there a way for me to move the setup (so the data on the array is still safe and dosen't require re loading again?) and licence over to the new hardware (newer/different: CPU, Motherboard and an additional HBA to run all those drives) and then to up date the Unraid OS from 6.8.3 to 6.9, before October 2021?

Hello,

Thanks again for that piece of information. So with that, I have backed up the flash drive with version 6.8.3 one and then I have updated monolith ( my big unraid server) to version 6.9.1 and run the back up again after the update, and again after downloading the new vertio iso and the sorting out the plugins so nice and clean ready for the swap/update in hardware with no problems found on fix common problems plugin. 

the Test, running with the updated hardware is running well and the vm is still booting and working.

just to remind the proposed update:

CPU: i7 7700k --> i7 9700k 

Motherboard: asrock Z270 Taichi --> Asus Prime Z390-A.

Sata: Taichi's onboard 10 sata ports --> to a pre flashed 'ITMode' HBA (model: LSI 6Gbps SAS HBA LSI 9201-8i 9211-8i IT Mode ZFS FreeNAS unRAID +2x 8087 SATA).

I thought i be waiting a week it has been 4 days so far there has been no issue with the test server setup and I have the oppatunity to make the swap tomorrow 17th. The current main server (monolith) is ready to swap. 

The only thing I have in the back of my mind is there anything I should do or not regarding moving the drives over from the onboard sata to the HBA? (is the data on the array safe just removing the sata data cable and plugging in the HBA Cables?)

Since there are 8 ports on the new system I am think use two ports for the cache and parity drives along with the two m.2 drives. So, all the data drives will be on the HBA. So two onboard ports will not be used. There is room for another HBA in the system but the case is full with the drives that are currently in place. I have not used a lot of the space available and this server was put together for the long term and far, far future upgrade root is the use of another HBA and is looking like a server based case is looking like from the current BIG consumer case. 

It is just really nice to see that we are nearly there, the end is insight after problems for so long.

I have really learnt a lot from these past months. I am extremely thankful for all the help and advice that i received. 

I will keep this post updated through the swap and for a period of time regarding the VM.

Thanks again for the help! :)

Please Help!!!

I have spent the day switching over the motherboard, CPU, Ram and connecting the HBA and just booted up the sever to find found two data disks. the parity drives and 4 more data disks are gone, but it is all wired up/connected.

Why is nothing going right, it was working fine with the test sever so why when put into the case and hooked up to a bigger power supply with two more sata drives and the m.2.

Please, Please any help is great here.

Whats' happened:

Server Info:

CPU i7 7700k.

Ram: 32gb.

GPU: Sapphire Raideon RX 580.

Motherboard: Asrock Z270 Taichi.

Past: 

none stable server when started at first unraid 6.9 beta.

then moved to 6.8.3 "stable" still unstable it kept freezing locking up.

changed the Corsair RMI power supply from 850 watts to 1000watts.

Updated Bios of the motherboard

changed the ram speed from 2666mhz to 2400mhz now server became stable.

Now came the VM issue:

Virtual machine over Local IP booted fine in the short term hit and miss in the long term.

The VM managers IOMMU Groups Divider set to "Downstream". 

USB card pass through worked fine after adding VIFO-PCIe plugin and applying that.

Passing through the GPU was fine in setting the VM result not good.

We got a black screen.

found the Q35 machine type. So Made a VM with this type and...

Got a picture but when a new driver added replacing the VERTIO one

download driver fine but so as it start to install the picture goes and doesn't return replaced by the black screen.

Replaced the AMD GPU for Nvidia (EVGA 1070TI SC 8GB).

passed through the edited removed header of the cards bios from tech powerup site and a hex editor. Outcome black screen.

then found that maybe added a low power gpu might free up the intended GPU so added a nividia 1030 GT to the 1st slot, outcome no change AMD card lockup when drivers installed.

Nvidia black screen at vm boot up.

So, now the search for a compatible motherboard? 

suggested: Gigabyte H270M-D3SH-CF

I found one only to be told it had already been sold and the seller forgot to take down the item.

So now put together a test sever:

PSU: Corsair 650CV (spare I had)

CPU: i5 7500

Ram: balistix 8Gb kit (x2 4Gb 2400Mhz) 2nd hand eBay.

GPU: both of the mentioned GPUS

Same model and capacity USB used on the original server.

difference the unraid stable version now 6.9.1

Drives:

Parity- WD red 4Tb

Data- WD red 2Tb

Cache- Crucial BX500 240 GB SSD.

Case: None

Later added:

Ram: corsair 16Gb 2666mhz LPX (x2 8gb kit).

HBA: LSI 6Gbps SAS HBA LSI 9201-8i 9211-8i IT Mode ZFS FreeNAS unRAID +2x 8087 SATA.

(Party drive and data drive added to this card).

Found a YouTube using an Asus Z170 Deluxe, and this worked!

found mention of Supermicro boards being mentioned on the forum.

So found models:

C7Z270-CG(-L then found this out on arrival, problem struggled with the boards red highlight due to vision impairment) board gets into BIOS okay but any further lock up so a no go.

found a C7Z270-CG the green version still not arrived.

also acquired a i7 9700k + Asus Prime Z390-A these also worked.

So installed the i7 7700k into the Asus Z170 Deluxe and placed into case with HBA fail to boot... ?!

So Installed the i7 9700k and the Asus Prime Z390-A

Outcome: Parity & Data drives not showing unraid says missing!

cache drives and USB show due to onboard Sata and USB ports used.

VM's unable to test.

So, i7 7700K and Taichi board installed in test server without HBA.

running NAS but no VM Problems still present.

I cannot work out why the HBA and the new motherboard worked with the test configuration and the test USB but put into the a PC case and hook up the x2 14TB x6 10Tb and two 2Tb SSDs and no array.

so unable to access data on the drives and unable to run a VM!!

It was just a straight swap and it was working on the test setup and looked like issue solved, but now not even the NAS side is not working.

I have got a replacement HBA on the way. To see if this a way forward. 

But I am really, really stuck!!!! Please, Please Help!

The Array At Present.png

Other Drives at present.png

Info.png

HBA Loading (In boot up).JPG

HBA Looking at connected drives found 0.JPG

HBA Says found zero drives but displays this table?.JPG

Hi again,

Seems like you're just destined for problems with this setup!  Whenever you make a hardware change like this and need support though, you always need to attach a new copy of your system diagnostics.  The issue you are experiencing now is different than what you originally experienced, so you need to get us new diagnostics so we can analyze.  There are a few things that could be going on here, but without that zip file, we cannot analyze.

Hello

Yes, But I really thought I was going to get some where when the I had it on the test setup it just worked! I guess as it should but installed it into the case, connected the drives to the HBA and two the cache drives on to the onboard SATA and powered on.

Then it booted up fine and then went to the web GUI and no array :(

I have enclosed the zip file you require.

I must be close since the HBA worked with 2 drives connected (WD red 2&4Tb) and I got a working VM with the AMD Card and it booted fine after the drivers installed and passed the milestone of booted back up after a full server shut down and boot up after a good few hours in-between.

monolith-diagnostics-20210322-2233.zip

Hi again,

Looking at your diagnostics, I see the following HBA's installed on your system:

00:17.0 SATA controller [0106]: Intel Corporation Cannon Lake PCH SATA AHCI Controller [8086:a352] (rev 10)
    DeviceName: Onboard - SATA
    Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device [1043:8694]
    Kernel driver in use: ahci
    Kernel modules: ahci

02:00.0 Serial Attached SCSI controller [0107]: Broadcom / LSI SAS2008 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-2 [Falcon] [1000:0072] (rev 03)
    Subsystem: Broadcom / LSI SAS2008 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-2 [Falcon] [1000:0072]
    Kernel driver in use: vfio-pci
    Kernel modules: mpt3sas

The latter of which is being stubbed by the vfio-pci driver.  Navigate to the Tools > System Devices page and uncheck that controller from being stubbed, save the setting, then reboot. 

Hello.

:) THANK YOU! THANK YOU!!! :) :) the array is back!!! :) :) THANK YOU! THANK YOU!!! :)

I have just done as you said and yes that is the case. I have not been in there post update to 6.9.

I wonder if the HBA has the iD or path that the USB card had before on the Z270 chipset with the I7 7700K?

because when I was there I had a looked and the USB card that was stubbed in 6.8.3 is currently not?

But the HBA was and in 6.8.3 the m.2 and the USB card where the only two items stubbed in the configuration.

Has this sort of mistaken identity happened before?

I would of never of guess to going and look at the stubbing settings!

Post OS update. The HBA was stubbed makes perfect sense, for what I was seeing, why didn't I think of checking those settings???

Thank you, at least it was a very simple issue to fix :)

Now that we have the array back up and operational I can sleep easy and get to sorting out the vm tomorrow.

As I said I will keep this post updated with the progress.

Thanks again so much, that has really saved the day.

Thank you.

Solved.png

So I have an working array back, and that's working fine :)

The VM last time I was able to to get to it, booted up and I got the USB card and the AMD Graphics card to work. This is even after our full sever power down and back up with a few hours in-between. Which this never got past until recently.

So, A few days later I am now looking at sorting out the Disk copy to m.2

and replacing the original vdisk in domains for space savers one adapted clover image.

but I have not been able to get the thing to boot. it gets stuck on the splash screen and the windows ten spinning white dots are not displaying!

This is a new issue I have not had to deal with before.

Please help as usual any advise will be helpful.

Log for:construct.pdf monolith-diagnostics-20210330-1214.zip

Hello 

I have very good news, found out what the issue with the splash screen lock up it was

one or more items in the USB tree.

(the tree from the PC Passed through USB3 Card:

Port 1 Cable to USB Switch (like a KVM Switch but only USB)

Port 2 Cable to external optical drive

Port 3 to a powered USB3 Hub with port by port on/off switch

Port 4 clear

USB Switch:

Port 1 keyboard 

Port 2 Keyboard USB Passthrough which is connected to the mouse

Port 3 Monitor USB HUB

Port 3 USB hub 3 ports + 1 cardreader

powered USB3 Hub with port by port on/off switch

port 1 Printer

port 2,3,4 external data/media drives.

port 5 CCTV magnifier/poor microscope

Port 6 Power to a battery charger

Port 7 cable to mobile

port 8 clear 

Monitor USB HUB:

Port 0 links to USB Switch

Port 1 a 4 port USB hub clear

Port 2 web cam

Port 3 clear )

When the powered USB3 Hub with port by port on/off switch is usually off until required.

but the USB switch I noticed that when it is turned on before the VM power on then I got the splash screen lock up, but when the usb switch is off then the vm boots up so it just means waiting for the windows logon screen to appear before I turn the USB switch on!

So, it seems the switch or something further back down the tree might be the issue.

At least I have a work around for this.

The next thing the USB card and the passed through AMD Graphics card are still working since I am able to access the keyboard and mouse and the other USB devices and I am still getting a output from the graphics card.

Since I found the workaround I was able to get the M.2 boot drive through Spacesaver One's adapted clover image. it is now booting off the m.2 and the machine type is Q35 and is running like a standard PC!!!

So, I have gotten to where I wanted with the Desktop PC and NAS storage for the household

in the computer!!! I have finally made it Since all the Issues. I am going report back in here in a few weeks to report in for the reliability of the VM.

But it is finally working, Thanks again for all the help! It has taken sometime, but I have a working Windows10 VM and a Working UNRAID NAS storage :)

WE MADE IT! :)

ITs WORKING ITs WORKING.PNG

Hello :) 

On 3/30/2021 at 8:53 PM, jonp said:

OMG!  I'm so glad you finally got this working.  I was at my wits end trying to figure out how to guide you further.  Glad you have a working system now!!

I know, I am almost thinking what is going to be the next problem??? Sorry for the late response.

Thank you very much again. It has been great to have the working NAS for the households file storage and I am still now able to keep using the same PC for a daily computer, which is able to coup with the photography and minor video editing. 

for this build would it be a problem to have the NAS and it's traffic from the families computers and the VM to be going through a single cable? since the Taichi mother board had two ports? if so any pointers on known good PCIe to network cards?

And is it a case of install and let the unraid OS to do its thing, or will it require a install and configuring?

The final thing since now I have the 7th gen cpu and a motherboard the asus Z170 deluxe since this also ran a vm with the amd card. I am thinking of creating a smaller unit to be a media server, (it is a given not to use the Taichi since it would not give the GPU up for a VM it stands to reason that it would be the same for the hardware of the home media server.

I am wondering if you know of any very simple step by step guide to setting one up?

I have also caught on to your post on resent attacks.

I have also found this really helpful, since I have updated the password to the server. the shares are all set to private and only users with the passwords are able to get access to its related files, this is how I had it set from the get go.

I am not 100% sure on the port forwarding in the case of how to apply your suggestions?, and I also do not think I intend to use the server remotely out side of the house. I have also installed the password validator plugin.

As you recommended a VPN is a very good Idea but how do you set one up on the sever?

Really thank you very much for your help, in getting the system up for me again. 

It was driving my around the bend and it was completely new ground for me in dealing with servers and virtualisation.

I will keep this post updated for a few weeks. Touch wood at the moment it is doing what we expect it to do. :) 

Thanks again! :)