GPU Drivers crash VM (Passthrough)

DougP

Ryzen 3950X

X570 AORUS ELITE

GTX 1060

GT710

unRAID 6.9.0-beta35

The 1060 is dedicated to a Windows VM and the GT710 is assigned to a Linux Mint VM. The Windows system is superbly stable, with the VM running for months without rebooting.

Unfortunately this is only partly true on the Linux machine; if I run the VM with non-accelerated drivers (xserver-xorg-video-noveau) it is perfectly stable but performance is, as you would expect, less than stellar and as soon as I install/enable video drivers, the VM becomes unusable. Upon reboot, it will sometimes make it to the desktop before crashing. Other times it crashes as soon as the video drivers are initialized.

When the machine crashes, the CPU usage as indicated on the unRAID dashboard shows a single core running at 100%, jumping to and from seemingly random cores and the display-out is disabled entirely. If I force-close the VM from the dashboard, I am able to re-start it and the display works properly until the GPU drivers initialize.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how I can get the video drivers to work with pass-through?