Issue with using Krusader to migrate to new server. (Solved)

wickyd

I've just set up a new Unraid server and have been copying over all my files, one drive at a time (using UD and Krusader).  I would go from one UD to my /media/x share.  It was splitting up the data to my 16 drives fine during the first half (share is set to "most free"), but with my last drive, it did most of it, then filled up a drive and stopped with an error that disk is full.  I thought that maybe it was reading the entire selection as one file, so I did a smaller grouping of folders (about 200GB) and it still tried to write to the same drive when i have plenty of space available on other drives.  Any ideas?  

Edited by wickyd

Krusader, rsync, some other apps seem to create the empty folders in advance of actually copying the files, then the files are copied into those empty folders it already created. And since the empty folders don't take much space Unraid can put them all on the same disk.

Happened to me with rsync. I noticed it was going in alphabetical order so I just started at the other end of the alphabet and began moving those empty folders to other disks before it started filling them.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, wickyd said:

to a share that contains all disk

20 minutes ago, trurl said:

create the empty folders in advance of actually copying the files, then the files are copied into those empty folders it already created. And since the empty folders don't take much space Unraid can put them all on the same disk.

To clarify, Unraid puts the empty folders all on one disk then the application fills those empty folders. 

5 minutes ago, wickyd said:

copying from disk to individual disks in the array?

That is one way. Still would need to create the top level folder for the user share and not do so much in one batch that you fill the disk. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks!  So, as you said, I had to go into the share and delete the 100 or so folders that were created by the last copy that didn't finish.  then I just started doing it in batches.  It recreated the folders and wrote in different disks again.

i appreciate the help!!

• wickyd changed the title to Issue with using Krusader to migrate to new server. (Solved)