Disk passthrough vs vdisk - night and day performance difference

More of an FYI than a question. I saw quite a few threads asking about 100% active time in Windows VMs and I found my solution.

I had real disk IO issues with my setup. Had my my vdisk on 2 Samsung enterprise drives as a BTRFS mirrored cache. These were connected to a backplane which was then connected to an LSI HBA. The VM was practically unusuable. Disks active time was 100% almost all the time.

I tried the standard stuff (disable indexing, disable Cortana, disable Superfetch, disable Prefetch, disable NVIDIA telemetry, reschedule NVIDIA profile updater to night time) and nothing worked. I then referred to the Spaceinvader One tutorial on converting a vdisk to a physical disk and it worked perfectly. Performance is now completely normal.

Hope this may be able to help someone else who is experiencing the same problem and has a similar hardware setup.

EDIT: I may have spoken to soon. I have found my vdisk is on the array instead of the cache (I had cache only but I think it was on the array. I have now changed it to preferred to make sure mover moves it back). Doing a parity check at the moment but will run mover once that is finished and change back to the vdisk

Edited by newunraiduser5