Increase speed of share reallocation between drives

Hi all, thanks in advance for reading.

I have 2x 12TB data drives in the array and all shares set up as high water mark. Unfortunately, I may have screwed up my folder split level / moved data onto the array too quickly. Now one disk has filled up with one particular media share.

I have changed the folder split level to allow lower level folders to be split. I can see the reallocation happening but its doing it at less than 2MB per second which is painfully slow. I cant download more files into the share for over a week or more at this rate.

Note that I had a bad reboot so I have let Unraid continue a parity check that it initiated.

Is there anything I can do to speed up the reallocation? Will it speed up after the parity check is completed?

Thanks all.

I am confused - Unraid will not automatically move files between array disks - this is a manual operation.  

Have I misunderstood what you actually did?   Maybe posting your system’s diagnostics zip file (obtained via Tools -> Diagnostics might help with. working out. What.  Is actually happening.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

expanse-diagnostics-20201126-2123.zip

Hi, I have attached the diagnostics file.

Is this not an automatic process when the when I have set the high watermark option and split level?

image.thumb.png.8ef75c0f1a6230895a60cd4fd0e8173e.png

If I look at my drive space, I can see that my Disk 1 had 0 free space earlier and not it is at around 60GB free space. I am also not downloading or changing anything.

image.thumb.png.9bf1c7aadeb93199e7da74ead2469a24.png

If this is a manual process, would you be able to advice how I can do this? I would like to move top level folder in a share across to Disk 1.

Thanks again for your help.

The settings you mention on apply to where Unraid attempts to place new files - it does not affect the placement of existing files.

there are a number of choices for manually moving files:

• use the linux command line if you are familiar with Linux commands
  • use the ‘mc’ command from the Linux command line for an easier to use interface
  • install and use a docker container such a Krusader if you want a graphical interface
  • enable disk shares under Settings->Global Share settings and use your preferred file manager on Windows/MacOS to do it over the network.   This can be more convenient but will be slower than doing internally within the Unraid server. 

one thing to be aware of whatever option you use is to make sure all operations are either disk-to-disk or share-to-share.    You should never mix disk and shares in the same command (I.e. disk-to-share or share-to-disk) as this can lead to data loss.

• Thanks 2
On 11/26/2020 at 9:44 PM, itimpi said:

The settings you mention on apply to where Unraid attempts to place new files - it does not affect the placement of existing files.

there are a number of choices for manually moving files:

• use the linux command line if you are familiar with Linux commands
  • use the ‘mc’ command from the Linux command line for an easier to use interface
  • install and use a docker container such a Krusader if you want a graphical interface
  • enable disk shares under Settings->Global Share settings and use your preferred file manager on Windows/MacOS to do it over the network.   This can be more convenient but will be slower than doing internally within the Unraid server. 

one thing to be aware of whatever option you use is to make sure all operations are either disk-to-disk or share-to-share.    You should never mix disk and shares in the same command (I.e. disk-to-share or share-to-disk) as this can lead to data loss.

Thank yo so much. I ended up using the unbalanced plugin. Really appreciate your help.