UNRAID New Setup

chrisp7

Hi,
I am setting up my new UNRAID server but having issues registering/starting the trial. I have corrected the time to my timezone and it matches the BIOS time. I have set the IPv4 DNS server to 8.8.8.8 and fixed my IP on my DHCP Server.

Is there anything else obvious I might be missing? I cannot connect to the internet/LAN (and have checked my connection, the cable/connection works fine on a windows machine).

Thanks v much :)

Edit - I have used the system as a Windows machine and have changed the name of the unraid server so trying to do the below in terminal (after having booted from the command line)

ipconfig /flushdns nbtstat -R

But I keep on getting "ipconfig: command not found".

Im very new to Linux - am I doing something incorrect?

Edited by chrisp7
additional info

Im not sure - I am guessing not if I can't connect when I type in the IP address it should/is on (according to my Router).

Virgin Modem - internet =>
192.168.0.18 (ASUS Router attached to the Modem via LAN)  =>

192.168.50.251 (UNRAID server)

Is that the info you need?

Looking at the logs I can see kernel reporting a time error - clock unsynchronised but "hwclock" and "clock" are reporting the same time.

can see a line: ntpd [email protected] Fri Aug 2 18:40:41 UTC 2019 (Starting)

I feel like this is something to do with the time - its definitely correct in the BIOS. 

Edited by chrisp7
12 minutes ago, chrisp7 said:

192.168.0.18 (ASUS Router attached to the Modem via LAN)  =>

192.168.50.251 (UNRAID server)

I would expect these to be on the same subnet (probably 192.168.0.x).   How is the Unraid server getting its IP address.  Does it have a gateway set to allow it to access the 192.168.0.x subnet?

1 hour ago, chrisp7 said:

But I keep on getting "ipconfig: command not found".

the command you probably want will be 'ifconfig'

1 minute ago, itimpi said:

I would expect these to be on the same subnet (probably 192.168.0.x).   How is the Unraid server getting its IP address.  Does it have a gateway set to allow it to access the 192.168.0.x subnet?

the command you probably want will be 'ifconfig'

All my devices connected to my ASUS router are in the 192.168.50 range.

Thanks on the ifconfig :)

Its definitely related to the time - 

"ntpd [email protected] Fri Aug 2 18:40:41 UTC 2019 (Starting)"
and below that:
"basedate set to 2019-07-21"

somehow I cant amend the time - I have done it using the GUI.

7 minutes ago, chrisp7 said:

All my devices connected to my ASUS router are in the 192.168.50 range.

OK - but still sounds like a network related issue with Unraid unable to access a time server.

Some questions:

• what is the IP address of the router on the Unraid side? 
  • What is the gateway address set in Unraid (which should be the router's IP address on the 192.168.50.x subnet).   
  • Can you reach the internet at all from Unraid?

The router that supplies the whole house is: 192.168.0.18 (also the UNRAID server)

In the top right hand side of the dashboard it gives me 169.254.140.70
The IPv4 address is 169.254.0.0/16
Is that the Gateway address? (sorry for my ignorance!)

And looking at the IP address the router says the UNRAID server is connected to its 192.168.50.251.

Thanks for the help btw :)

I cant connect to the internet at all no.

Addresses starting 169.x.x.x are what gets allocated when a DHCP server (normally the router) cannot allocate an IP address.  

there is still some disconnect here - I would expect the router to have 2 addresses - one in the 192.168.0.x range that is used for the connection to the modem, and another one in the 192.168.50.x range that it presents to all your devices.

can you run the Unraid GUI?    If so can you get your system’s diagnostics zip file (obtained via Tools->Diagnostics) and attach it to your next post.    That would allow us to get a better view of what is happening.

just had a thought - if it is very new hardware you may need to use the 6.9.0 beta release to get a driver loaded with support for your NIC so what Unraid release are you running?  In particular this is likely to be the case if it is a 2.5Gb capable NIC.   Your symptoms could be explained by no driver being loaded for the NIC.    Telling is more about the hardware might allow us to give feedback on that.

• Thanks 1

Aaand your beta comment was it.. Tried the beta version and it all connects fine. Phew! 

Thanks very very much!

I should have given the hardware info when I initially posted - didn't think it was relevant but should. Its quite new (well brand new motherboard/RAM).

Giving this info for other users in future if they encounter similar issues - the board is a Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro (Ryzen CPU), which indeed has a 2.5Gb/s NICs,

Thanks for sticking with it and spending the time itimpi :) (and Skatman of course).

Edited by chrisp7
  • Like 1