Heretic's Build (X8SIL-F-O)

I purchased them in Holland some shop had a deal on them

Saw them first at www.xcase.co.uk when i was looking at the norco cages.

think the icy box are originally from taiwan like so many things in the world of computers.

original site ? here

european site here

from the manual

C.  Connecting the SATA Cable

1) SATA HDD: take the blue connector.

2  SAS HDD:

- take the blue connector for single channel.

- take the blue and green connector for dual channel.

so far I Can't find any links to an US shop they may well be sold under a different brand name.

Newegg sells these backplanes in the US under the XClio name.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816705004&cm_re=xcilo-_-16-705-004-_-Product

^^ Multi-directional as in more than one direction ;) There are several aftermarket coolers that perform much better than the stock HSF and orientations vary.

gheghe, I understood that much  ;). tho multi -directional could mean anything to me, from just the term i can't visualize what is meant by it. when googling it all hits showed a fan that was blowing towards the motherboard.

I've been using aftermarket coolers in all my standard pc build. My main concern for this server is finding one that fits with the components onboard and with the power cables. it is  probably possible to lengthen the Power cables, think i saw some lian lee sleeved extension cables on some website.

^^ There's a trayless version of that cage too, but it has 2x50mm fans that are loud according to reviews.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817994077

Nice find!  That gives another option for people in the U.S.  the price might be a bit steep compared to the norco cages but they have great looks. 8)

seems the US version has black grills

• 3 months later...

replaced the stock fans of the drive cages with 80mm noctua's unfortunately at full speed it only a bit more quiet. with the LNA (low noise adapter) it was perfect  but the temps got a little hot during parity. (it was a hot day)

I'm am contemplating a fan controller sacrificing the 10th slot.

• 3 months later...

SASLP-MV8 on order with 1 x  CBL-SFF8087OCF-05m and 1 x 3Ware :: CBL-SFF8087OCF-10m

will probably take a while to arive , noone had them in stock here in the Netherlands

was looking at SAS2LP-MV8 but these are even harder to find and unsure if and when it will be supported by production versions of unraid

SASLP-MV8 on order with 1 x  CBL-SFF8087OCF-05m and 1 x 3Ware :: CBL-SFF8087OCF-10m

will probably take a while to arive , noone had them in stock here in the Netherlands

was looking at SAS2LP-MV8 but these are even harder to find and unsure if and when it will be supported by production versions of unraid

the SAS2LP only works with the latest beta12

the SAS2LP only works with the latest beta12

indeed some people reported to have it working under beta 12 , someone also mentioned  tom possibly had to downgrade the current unix version on the beta's to solve a problem. not  a risk I'm willing to take.

• 2 weeks later...

AOC-SASLP-MV8 and cables arrived today -  doing final parity check before moving drives around

want to free up some motherboard slots for preclearing.

do wonder tho if AHCI will keep reassigning drives to different hosts (sda,sdb, etc.) when adding a new drive for preclearing.

something that seemed to have been happening before when adding a drive to port c while f was already filled, hope that made any sense ^^

it would be rather annoying having to correct the unraid device setting each time a drive is added or removed from a preclear slot.

time will tell :)

update:

been installing and moving around stuff after initial parity check was completed

one odd things is that the card initiates drive on the first port in backwards order 3 2 1 0 making the them appear on a different o host as expected. (inversed order)

also startup is slower now since the cart initiates some spinup group.

furthermore for the moment have no troubles with the .21 firmware so see no need to instal .15.

installed the cache and parity in the zalman drive cage on the bottom

this is very  plasticy  an a bit more flimsy than the excellent build icy boxes. on a plus side since they only carry 3 drives and the have a bigger fan they should be easier to cool.

the 7200 rpm parity drive could get a bit hot on long parity check & copy session this way it wont iffluence the green drives.

the control parity check is well under way and all sign look good.