Map Drives to Physical Locations

Coming from QNAP and Thecus to Unraid, I find one important feature missing:  A simple means of identifying drives by physical location in the chassis.

I recommend that Unraid implement a feature where a user could help Unraid construct a graphic representation of drive location by providing the following:

Horizontal or vertical drives?

Number of rows?

Number of columns?

Then provide a means for the user to map controllers to physical disk locations (perhaps SCSI device numbers if those don't change).

Examples:

RAIDV51.jpg.3d7a901ea374ec2a284476e49df83adf.jpg

Vertical drive orientation, 1 row, 5 columns

RAIDH46.jpg.23586735f2b3198138236a4c766ce4e4.jpg

Horizontal drive orientation, 6 rows, 4 columns

RAIDH15.jpg.2897c79005d33df7b338667dfdf20ea5.jpg

Horizontal drive orientation, 5 rows, 1 column.

I am not suggesting that the Unraid GUI provide a photorealistic representation, just line drawings that repeat horizontal and vertical rectangles to represent the relative locations of drives, with red/green indicators to show drives being bad/good. 

Rather than having to shut down the Unraid server and pull the drives out one at a time searching for a serial number, the user could be presented with an image that showed them precisely which drive had failed.

I know that this would not address every possible configuration, and that various customers have mixed vertical and horizontal orientation drives, sometimes in multiple chassis.  But it would help a very large percentage of Unraid customers.

Note:  I recognize that there are ways to identify which drives are in which physical locations, including high-tech solutions utilizing Post-Its, label makers, sketches, etc. This is a feature request for those who find those methods lacking.