Disks show up in unassigned list when they spin down

I have two HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB drives that are acting weird.  When they spin down, the appear in the unassigned drives list and no longer work correctly for data.  Rebooting ends up causing a parity check the next boot because the reboot stops when attempting to unmount the drives.  The drives are hooked up to a Broadcom SAS2208 SAS RAID controller is cross-flashed to a  SAS2308-IT mode SAS HBA.  HBA is dual linked to a Supermicro backplane in an SC836TQ case and the drives are plugged into it.  Prior to the Supermicro case I had all my drives hooked up using breakout cables to both the onboard SAS HBA and a Dell H310 cross-flashed to IT mode.  In this configuration these drives spun down as expected.  I'm guessing you will need diagnostic logs after the issue has happened.  Is that correct?

For array drives to show up in unassigned devices they need to temporarily disconnect and then re-connect with a different /dev/sdX identity.    Unraid is not hot-plug aware and does not handle this.   Why this might happen I have no idea.  It is something one might expect from USB connected drives but you say that this is not the case here.   Does it happen if you set those drives to never spin down?

6 minutes ago, itimpi said:

For array drives to show up in unassigned devices they need to temporarily disconnect and then re-connect with a different /dev/sdX identity.    Unraid is not hot-plug aware and does not handle this.   Why this might happen I have no idea.  It is something one might expect from USB connected drives but you say that this is not the case here.   Does it happen if you set those drives to never spin down?

If they are set to never spin down, it doesn't happen.  Plus for some reason the drives never spin down even when configured to.  Although that is all my drives and I just haven't had time to look at it.