Plex Organization

Burizado

Hello All.  I thought this might me the best place to post this topic as it's not really "issue" related that needs support help.

I have a fairly good size library of my movies mostly all 1080p content.  I am looking at starting to update some of them to 2160p.  I would like to keep the 1080p files in case I am streaming to phones or tablets and don't want to transcode down the 2160p files, or if I am accessing my content away from home.  My main question is what is the best way to go about this?

In my research I have found basically two thoughts on Plex organization:

1. Setup a separate 'Movies-4k' directory and put all 4k content in there.  Keeping all the 1080p files in the 'Movies' directory.  I would then have a separate Plex library for 'Movies-4k' content.
  2. Update the current 1080p files to 2160p.  Then use Plex to create an optimized 1080p version.  This would keep both versions in the same Plex library, and I could just select which version to play depending on the device I am on.

I realize option #2 will require additional processing and probably space, since Plex is probably not going to compress the files down to H.265 size.  Is there an advantage to one option over the other?  Is there another option I am not thinking about?

Any thoughts on how you have your 1080p and 2160p content organized in your Plex server?