Changing Cases and question on SAS cables

macmann

I currently have a CHENBRO rack case with 12 drive slots.  The system has a supermicro dual CPU board with LSI controller.  I believe there is a single SAS cable going to the rear of the drive backplane to connect all 12 drives.  

Question 1.  I thought a single SAS connector can hookup to only 4 drives.  In my case, I can operate all 12 drives (atleast 8 so far installed)

I would like to switch to a dell r430 that I happen to have with a 20 core processor.  Since the dell is a 1u unit, I would like an external drive storage unit.  

Question 2.  Which is the quietest and highest quality hotswappable drive cabinet?  

The dell also have a mini perc controller that has been flashed with IT firmware to see the 8 2.5" drive slots on the case itself so that is not a problem.  

Question 3. Can I add another LSI controller with external port to manage the external drive storage unit? 

29 minutes ago, macmann said:

Question 1.  I thought a single SAS connector can hookup to only 4 drives.  In my case, I can operate all 12 drives (atleast 8 so far installed)

If the backplane includes an expander you just need one cable (or two for dual link if supported for increased bandwidth).