Ram question

minuzle

I just purchased a used Supermicro X9DRL-iF that came with two E5-2690 v2's.  It has 16gb of ram (they didn't say the speed I assume DDR3 1866).  I have a 20 drive array with 2x 512gb SSD's in a cache pool.  Will 16 GB be enough or should I look at adding some more? I don't run any VM's I do have a few dockers though (medusa, pihole, plex, sab, tautulli).  

Thank you in advance

minuzle

Those CPUs support a maximum 2133mhz ECC. 16gb "should" be enough, but I might suggest another 16gb if you're going to be running a bunch of containers.

Those are nice CPUs. I have a pair myself.

How many sticks do you have? I'm assuming 4x4gb?

The more sticks you have, the slower the ram runs. I think once you have more than 2 sticks per channel is when it starts to step down.

20 minutes ago, SeeGee said:

Those CPUs support a maximum 2133mhz ECC. 16gb "should" be enough, but I might suggest another 16gb if you're going to be running a bunch of containers.

Those are nice CPUs. I have a pair myself.

How many sticks do you have? I'm assuming 4x4gb?

The more sticks you have, the slower the ram runs. I think once you have more than 2 sticks per channel is when it starts to step down.

It is 2x8gb, I did just order some 1866 off ebay (4x8gb).  I'm not sure what the clock is on the ram coming with the board as the listing description didn't say, I was more in it for the motherboard and CPU's.  My guess is if I mix the ram they will be throttled down to whatever the slowest speed is.

Wait, only 2 sticks total? That implies that it's only running single channel per cpu. Additional sticks will help you in more ways than one!

Definitely research the cpu/Motherboard and investigate the optimal configuration. My dual Xeon e5-2690 v3 supermicro x10 system needs 8 sticks for full quad channel support on both CPUs.

https://www.techpowerup.com/cpu-specs/xeon-e5-2690-v2.c1667
This lists your cpu as supporting quad channel ddr3, up to 1866. 8 identical sticks (4 per cpu) would be needed for quad, 2 per cpu gives you dual, and of course, one per cpu gives you single channel.

Your Motherboard manual from supermicro would have a concise chart of what slots to use and supported configurations. Take a look memory configuration there

7 minutes ago, SeeGee said:

Wait, only 2 sticks total? That implies that it's only running single channel per cpu. Additional sticks will help you in more ways than one!

Definitely research the cpu/Motherboard and investigate the optimal configuration. My dual Xeon e5-2690 v3 supermicro x10 system needs 8 sticks for full quad channel support on both CPUs.

https://www.techpowerup.com/cpu-specs/xeon-e5-2690-v2.c1667
This lists your cpu as supporting quad channel ddr3, up to 1866. 8 identical sticks (4 per cpu) would be needed for quad, 2 per cpu gives you dual, and of course, one per cpu gives you single channel.

Your Motherboard manual from supermicro would have a concise chart of what slots to use and supported configurations. Take a look memory configuration there

Thanks for the help! I will probably just use the 4 I just purchased now then, I would have purchased more but he only had 4 available.  Do you feel like 2 per cpu will be enough?