Preclear recognition

Might be a silly question but...

I have been continuing to use an updated/modified preclear_disk.sh (v1.15+deltas) script for the last few years (not a plugin or a docker, the original script).

I have manually updated the script myself over the years with the various patches required.

I am surprised that when I look at unRAID's MAIN web GUI page (unRAID v6.8.3), it seemingly KNOWS what's going on and reports the pre-clearing operation and progress.

Is there some magic built into unRAID to recognize the pre-clear procedure? How is this reported/known to unRAID?

Thanks for any answers.

Right. Thanks itimpi.

Yeah, I'm pretty much exclusively swapping in bigger disks for smaller ones (rebuilding their content), so having a "clear disk" signature isn't important.

The "stress-test" aspect is what I'm focusing on. I have seen reference to "badblocks" (with writes) being an "as-useful" (and presumably built-in) alternative in this regard. Any comments on badblocks vs preclear_disk.sh - pluses/minuses ?

I personally have no experience of software like ‘badblocks’, the only way I have tested my own disks is via preclear; extended SMART tests; or the manufacturer’s supplied test software.   So far I have not had any drives that have failed early so I have no idea how significant a problem ‘infant mortality’ actually is in the real world and how the different testing methods fare against each other in triggering it.