Yet another “help me choose SuperMicro” post

ainuke

I’m considering swapping out my current (former gaming turned server MOBO/CPU/RAM) for more server-grade hardware.

I see a lot of SuperMicro here in the sigs but know squat about the Xeon hierarchy and am looking for advice. 

I can get a SuperMicro X9DRD-EF and two E5-2690v2 for under my $400-$500 budget from reputable sellers on eBay. Am I crazy to invest in an upgrade that’s still using DDR3 RAM? The single most RAM-intensive things I’m running right now is a minecraft server (non-commercial) that my kids and their friends play on. Other duties are Plex streaming (no graphics card acceleration, yet) and photo/video/music management.

Also, I’m using an LSI SAS 9207-8i storage controller, and I’m assuming it’s going to be compatible with SuperMicro. 

My current board maxes out at 32GB, and I’d like to take advantage of ECC if I increase past the 16GB I have now.

Are there horror stories out there with this board or CPU? 

Will this be a beast or a burden?

PS - I read the request to check the recommended hardware page before posting here, but that’s hopelessly out of date.  I also searched for this MOBO on this forum.  :) 

I run a Supermicro X10DRU-i board with ddr3 in quad channel on a pair of e5-2690 v3, and it eats anything I can throw at it. Remember that ddr4 may run faster, but it's at a higher latency, so I don't think it will be a noticeable difference in your usage case. Unless you're running really memory intensive applications.... You'll really benefit the most when running quad channel

You'll also have the added benefit of more pcie lanes on the Xeon,as well as ECC support