Best setup with M.2 disk and redundancy?

Hi all!
My UNRAID system with the main purpose to host different VM where works very well (2xGPU; USB passthrough, etc).

My hardware is:

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro System

64GB of Ram

Ryzen 3900X with 12 cores

1x PNY XLR8 CS3030 2TB, M.2 (M280CS3030-2TB-RB)

1x AMD 5700 XT
1x AMD 480RX

So far I have zero redundancy which I would like to add for data protection.
What would be the best option to get dataprotection and the most speed when working with my VMs?
I am thinking about several solutions, but am not sure which would be the best.

So far I have noch cache disk and no second array disk.

1) Solution: I get another PNY XLR8 CS3030 2TB, M.2 NVME and use this at my 2nd array disk. This should give me redundance.
As the M.2 drives are pretty fast, I think I would not benefit for another SSD aas Cache drive?

Right now I get write and read speeds round about 1500 MB/s in my VMs (mac OS Catalina tested). On paper PNY XLR8 CS3030 2TB, M.2 should be much faster.

Read: 3500MB/s • Write: 3000MB/

So my thinking about a 2nd Solution is:
Take 2x 2TB HDD to the Array, one for the VMs and one for redundancy. Then take the PNY 2TB M.2 as a fast cache drive.

Would this be faster then my 1. solution?
Any other suggestions?
Thx in advance!

Bildschirmfoto 2020-12-05 um 12.20.09.png

If redundancy is your concern, and you only have one storage device, then you might want to just get a second identical m.2 and set them up as a btrfs raid1 cache pool and forego the array altogether. Probably get better performance than your current setup, and have redundancy.

you can keep your data, unless you are changing the filesystem type, which you may want to do (btrfs raid1 is recommended). If you have another drive to offload the data to temporarily that would work. To switch from array to cache, you would need to create a new config (Tools > New Config) and simply assign the single disk as a cache drive instead of an array drive. Once you have the cache disk assigned, you can easily add the second drive to the cache pool after the fact, and convert it into a raid1 pool without any data loss.

That would offer you the best redundancy. I have two cache pools that are set up in this manner. One with SATA SSDs, the other with NVMe SSDs

image.thumb.png.bd769a39af47935b7f34fedd18fcde4f.png