My new 7-drive super-ghetto rig

Well, I finally hacked apart my old Windows XP software RAID5 file server (4x500GB SATA) and converted it to an unRAID box.

Added two cooling fans in the front (on a case not designed for it), and well, the pictures will speak for themselves.

Why is it super-ghetto? let me list the reasons:

1. I colored the case and cardboard pieces that cover various holes with a black sharpie

2. Half the drives don't fit properly so they aren't screwed in to the tray

3. Drives may be stacked too tight

4. Fans are taped or twist-tied onto the case

5. scotch tape to hold the wires

But...the real question, does it work? Sure it looks ghetto, but the internals and cooling are good.

- Antec NEO ECO 400W PSU (w/ 30A 12v rail), 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC (off the recommended hardware list)

- Asus p5k-series mobo

- 8 SATA ports (4x mobo, 4x Adaptec 1430SA PCI-E x4 card)

- all IDE devices removed

- PCI Gigabit NIC (it's the only thing on the IDE/PCI bus)

- All drives are 500GB. So minus cache+parity, it's 2.3TB usable space

Most importantly: What kind of temps on the drives? Lowest is 27c, highest is 33c, which is well within safe operating range.

Any thoughts?

SV01_TheBrain_internals.jpg.3d755acbf80af3491c1b3a09e29fb755.jpg

Love the scotch tape holding the fan power cables. LOL.

I soon realized I didn't have the stuff to build a professional-looking box, but I knew the only thing that really matters is A) good PSU and B) drive temps/cooling. Hopefully it holds up!

I'm running the preclear_disk.sh script on all 7 drives right now, and none of them are over 36c, even with all 7 drives being hit hard at the same time.

Here's a pic of a the full clearing going on.

Ghetto fabulous!  I used scotch tape in my first build too, but I used it to block certain air intakes, not to support anything with weight.  I agree that the tape may fall off after a bit.  Twist ties work just as well as zip ties, and they are free at any grocery store...

Maybe we should have a ghetto-fab server contest?

I think it would be a good idea. I'd hate to think some don't post up picks just because they aren't the cleanest. I personally think anything goes as long as it well works. LOL

That'd actually be a great photo thread....ghetto fabulous builds.

I used duct tape to block all the air vents on the sides, to force the flow of air directly over the drives (like you did). The scotch tape just holds the wires, but I have some sandwich ties I think i'll use instead.

So far it's working great, temps are low 30's on all drives.

• 3 weeks later...

That'd actually be a great photo thread....ghetto fabulous builds.

The ghettoest case is no case at all.  My submission, should that thread ever get made:

03d680120390725.jpg

I have a case on order, but it hasn't arrived yet and I wanted to get started migrating stuff off my dying WHS box before it craps out for good.  At least I know there aren't any airflow issues :)

The ghettoest case is no case at all.  My submission, should that thread ever get made:

03d680120390725.jpg

I have a case on order, but it hasn't arrived yet and I wanted to get started migrating stuff off my dying WHS box before it craps out for good.  At least I know there aren't any airflow issues :)

whoa!  :D - looks like everythings been placed on a fridge? the ultimate cooling system  ;D