File transfer stops when cache-disk is full

tshorts

Transferring quite a bit of data to my unraid server at the moment, from a Windows machine using SMB.

The share is set to "Yes" for use cache. The cache is at 250gb, a lot less than the amount of data I'm transferring.

The problem: When the cache-disk is full, the transfer stops, claiming the disk is full.

All I have to do is to press resume and the transfer continues, filling up the array disks instead. But I feel it shouldn't stop at all, that unraid should move over to the array automatically.

The description for the cache settings when creating a share indicates that:

Yes indicates that all new files and subdirectories should be written to the Cache disk/pool, provided enough free space exists on the Cache disk/pool.
If there is insufficient space on the Cache disk/pool, then new files and directories are created on the array.

Was thinking that maybe Prefer is the correct alternative to fix this, but it has the exact same function as yes in the description:

Prefer indicates that all new files and subdirectories should be written to the Cache disk/pool, provided enough free space exists on the Cache disk/pool.
If there is insufficient space on the Cache disk/pool, then new files and directories are created on the array.

Do you know how I fix this?

If there isn't a fix, just a thing with unraid, is it only with SMB, or is it the same with all protocols, dockers, and apps? When cache-disk is full, they all stop and have to be manually resumed?

For the share in question what is the "minimum free space" setting set to?

The setting needs to be a value which is the size of the largest (or larger) file that will be written to the share.

If the setting value is too small it will write files to the cache disk that will not fit (resulting in the out of space error you are seeing) rather than writing them to a data disk.

• Like 1