My project - Any Suggestion?

My project is this:

Motherboard: Asus P5B-VM DO (I can buy a new one for 75 Euros. I think it's a good price).

CPU: Intel Celeron 430 1.80GHz FSB800 Box Socket 775 (alternatives: "Intel Celeron E3400 2.6Ghz FSB800 1MB Box 775" or "Intel Dual Core E5700 3GHz FSB800 2MB Box 775". I don't know if it's really better to use a Dual Core or if it's enought the Celeron 430).

RAM: "G.Skill Performance DDR2 800 PC2-6400 2GB 2x1GB" or "Kingston HyperX Blu DDR2 800 PC2-6400 CL5 2 x 1GB" or "Kingston ValueRAM 4GB DDR2 800 PC2-6400 2x2GB" (Again, here I don't know if 2gb it's enought or maybe for a little more of money put 4gb)

Case: Sharkoon Rebel 12 Value

Drive Cage(s): 4x Scythe "Hard Disk Stabilizer x4" 4in3 cages (or Chenbro 4 x 3.5; Down the links)

http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/acc/042/scyhdsx4-detail.html

http://www.sona.de/.336324928-Chenbro-4---fach-HDD-K%C3%A4fig-Non-HotSwap-f%C3%BCr-SR10769

http://www.sona.de/.1154219972-Chenbro-4---fach-HotSwap-Tray-f%C3%BCr-SR10769

Power Supply: Corsair TX650 (Enought for 20-21 HDDS if they are green or 5400 Rpm, right?)

SATA Expansion Card(s): Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Fans: 3x Scythe 120mm fans at front, 2x Tacens Aura II 80mm

Unraid USB: 4G Talent Pico (it's not in the hardware compatibility, but other Unraid users have tested it with good results and it's pretty small)

I'll begin with 12 or 14 HDDS & will expand it until 20 HDDs + 1 Parity HDD in the near future (with another Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8, because, is there any PCI-e with x 6 Sata ports? I know with 2, 4 or 8, but with 6)

Any suggestions?

Another questions:

*Is it essential the parity disk? Can Unraid work without it? I mean, when I have the first 12 or 14 HDDs, I'll have a Backup of all of them in other HDDs too, and I was thinking about waiting to use the parity disk until I have the total 21 HDDs in the next future.

*Anyone with this mobo has tried successfully the powerbutton clean shutdown? I don't want to use a keyboard to shutdown.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks. I go for this mobo and CPU for the compatibility. They both are well tested. Can you suggest me another newer mobo with the same specs of the Asus? I'll use the Server for storing and serving my huge storage (Movies, Music, Pictures, TV shows) to my Popcorn C-200 (in the next future with YAMT).

I have that MB and had great luck with it. 8 ports on MB, inboard video, a PCIe x4 slot and a PCIe x16 slot. I have a SASLP in the x16 slot, an Adaptec 1430sa in the x4 slot, and a 2 port PCI card giving 22 ports.  Prior reports are that you cannot run SASLP in the x4 slot, so dual SASLPs may not be possible. But 22 is pretty awesome and plenty for me - so far. ;)

Yes, Neilt, I'll build same as yours. I think it's a very good configuration. To be honest I wanted to use the Rebel12 because I can buy it here in Spain, and after I found your useful post I decided that it will be my case.

To Neilt:

And what would you buy if you build now a new system? I mean, with 20-22 HDDs, what mobo and CPU? (I've seen the BIOSTAR TA785G3HD nad I don't sure if it's ideal for 20 HDDS, and the SUPERMICRO MBD-C2SEE-O is expensive and out of stock in Europe)

To bjp999:

I thought this mobo has 7 ports on MB. Do you use the external sata port?

Has you tried with this mobo the powerbutton clean shutdown? I don't want to use a keyboard to shutdown.

To both bjp999 & Neilt:

Is it essential the parity disk? Can Unraid work without it? I mean, when I have the first 12 or 14 HDDs, I'll have a Backup of all of them in other HDDs too, and I was thinking about waiting to use the parity disk until I have the total 21 HDDs in the next future.

What is your normal transfer speed?

Thanks again

Yes, Neilt, I'll build same as yours. I think it's a very good configuration. To be honest I wanted to use the Rebel12 because I can buy it here in Spain, and after I found your useful post I decided that it will be my case.

To Neilt:

And what would you buy if you build now a new system? I mean, with 20-22 HDDs, what mobo and CPU? (I've seen the BIOSTAR TA785G3HD nad I don't sure if it's ideal for 20 HDDS, and the SUPERMICRO MBD-C2SEE-O is expensive and out of stock in Europe)

To bjp999:

I thought this mobo has 7 ports on MB. Do you use the external sata port?

Yes.  Get a cable like THIS ONE.  Plug it in the eSata and then route the cable into the case.

Has you tried with this mobo the powerbutton clean shutdown? I don't want to use a keyboard to shutdown.

I experimented with it only once or twice and didn't get it to work.  This was a long time ago before the package manager, so I was manually editing files and it may have been my error.  Ctrl-Alt-Del works great for me, so that's what I use.  Since buying my UPS, though, have never had to use it.

To both bjp999 & Neilt:

Is it essential the parity disk? Can Unraid work without it? I mean, when I have the first 12 or 14 HDDs, I'll have a Backup of all of them in other HDDs too, and I was thinking about waiting to use the parity disk until I have the total 21 HDDs in the next future.

Parity disk can be added later if you have all data backed up.  But I don't recommend it.  I understand it is faster transfer without the parity, but running with parity will exercise your system under real conditions.  It is okay to copy a bunch of data with no parity, but add parity before you copy it all.  Leave 1T or so to copy while parity protected.  Then run a parity check.

Thanks again

Transfer speed has more to do with network, controllers, and drives than with the motherboard.  I get about 32 MB/sec to protected array with 7200 RPM parity (Hitachi 2T) and 5400 RPM data (WD EADS).  This is consistant with what other users see as well.

If you have already bought this MB I think it is a good choice.  Offerings come and go and not sure there is a MB currently available with this combination of features.  Plus you can be pretty sure that Tom is running one on a test system given he sold servers with this MB for quite a while.  I like that.  

But I see Neil's point to.  It is older and no more BIOS updates are expected.  If you have not bought one you might look at the current offerings.  Like I said, I'm happy with mine and think this is a good choice.

Bjp999, Thanks a lot for your help.

I have the oportunity to buy this mobo + cpu:

Asus striker extreme:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mainboards/display/asus-striker-extreme_2.html#sect0

Micro dual core 2 6600e

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-E6600-Dual-Core-Processor-LGA775/dp/B000GGQCIM

All for a total 70 Euros. Used but still working. But the mobo is not in the compatibility hardware.... If the mobo doesn't work, I could use the processor with the Asus P5B-VM DO.

Do you think It's worth to take the risk and buy it? There are other mobos that not are included in the compatibility list and they work, aren't they?

Another guy sell me a Intel Core 2 Duo 6400 2.13 for 30 Euros...

An UPS is essential? Why don't you have to use the powerbutton clean shutdown when you have an UPS?

To Neilt:

Just about any motherboard should work. I don't see any point buying a used setup. If you want to save money, get a Sempron 140 and a cheap motherboard -- find one you like and post the details and someone will advise if it wouldn't work due to some odd incompatibility.

Transfer speeds on my system: With 7200rpm parity and 7200rpm data drive: up to 42MB/sec. With 5400rpm drives: around 25MB/sec.

Bjp999, Thanks a lot for your help.

I have the oportunity to buy this mobo + cpu:

Asus striker extreme:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mainboards/display/asus-striker-extreme_2.html#sect0

Micro dual core 2 6600e

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-E6600-Dual-Core-Processor-LGA775/dp/B000GGQCIM

All for a total 70 Euros. Used but still working. But the mobo is not in the compatibility hardware.... If the mobo doesn't work, I could use the processor with the Asus P5B-VM DO.

Do you think It's worth to take the risk and buy it? There are other mobos that not are included in the compatibility list and they work, aren't they?

Another guy sell me a Intel Core 2 Duo 6400 2.13 for 30 Euros...

An UPS is essential? Why don't you have to use the powerbutton clean shutdown when you have an UPS?

If you already have a P5B VM DO, use it.  If you don't, buy something NEW.  Used equipment, especially used motherboards, scare the heck out of me.  The fact you don't even know it is compatible makes it even worse.

70 Euros is about $100 US.  I am seeing used e6600s for about $70 US.  There is nothing magic about this CPU.  You can buy similar new for $50 - $80 US.

My advice, if you have the P5B VM DO, get yourself a compatible CPU that meets your needs (low horsepower is fine for stock unRAID) and 2G of memory.

If you don't, look at the UCD builds and pick one that has the expandability you need.  Tinker with the components if you'd like, but stick with a proven MB.

Good luck!