[SOLVED] Help removing multiple disks

dmwa

Hi,

Newbie urgently needing help.

I think my SAS controller (Adaptec 71605) just bit the bullet as it is screeching at me and when I go to the main page on unraid, on start up, I get green boxes basically saying all good for the disks not on the sas controller and the other disks don't get the same message.  These messages come up before without the array started.

Luckily most of the disks on the SAS controller were next to empty as I had only added them recently.  I have 1 sata cable going to a drive that was unmounted, which I could swap to the drive on the SAS controller with data on it.

But can someone please answer some queries regarding the "Remove Drives then Rebuild Parity" method.

{Currently the computer is off so I am working from memory.}

*I know the parity drive protects against 1 lost disk, but if I drop 3-4 via the "Remove Drives then Rebuild Parity" method will the array rebuild?

*The disks were linked to shares - either as "All" or "Include", but with the array off, I will be unable to do step 1.  Is this an issue?

"Make sure that the drive or drives you are removing have been removed from any inclusions or exclusions for all shares, including in the global share settings. Shares should be changed from the default of "All" to "Include". This include list should contain only the drives that will be retained."

or

What step should I do?

Thanks ahead.

Edited by dmwa
Accidentally posted before finished
10 minutes ago, dmwa said:

*I know the parity drive protects against 1 lost disk, but if I drop 3-4 via the "Remove Drives then Rebuild Parity" method will the array rebuild?

Remove drives and rebuild parity can be used with any number of removed drives, but any data on those will not be part of the new array.

• JorgeB changed the title to [SOLVED] Help removing multiple disks