10700 or 3800X

PasUK

Hi

I've been tinkering with Unriad on any old kits I have around for a while now but yet to build my own machine and really start exploring in more detail.

I'm planning to buy new kit to get this set up properly, I have to say its a little daunting from a HW perspective even after doing a lot of reading.

A quick note on use case: Storage of files, photos for the family, a windows VM, I'd love to start dabbling in plex as well as hook up three IP cameras to record on it.

The VM will only ever really be me and I don't do gaming. As for Plex I really don't see me doing anything more than one transcoding stream but would like to expand into using something more beefy (dedicated graphics card) just in case my family start using it in the future, but that's not now.  

I'm based in the UK and looking around at CPUs and what you can get 'bang for buck' i'm split between:

Intel Core i7 10700 ~£312 CPU mark: 17,477

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X ~£285 CPU mark: 23,372

Both are 8 core 16 T

So this should be a no brainier, right? the 3800X is cheaper and more powerful. Why would I be thinking about the intel!?...

Well the intel has an integrated GPU and it concerns me (rightly or wrongly) that it seems that Intel has less problems with Unraid generally.  

Does the inter gated GPU?

I don't think it should, I could run the machine headless and if I understand plex, it can use CPU cycles to transcode, something like 2000 cpu marks per stream at 1080p. Am I right?

As for compatibility, hoping if I do go down the AMD route that someone may be able to guide me to the optimal motherboard.

Or I should stick to good old intel!?

Thanks in advance

Finally decided to pull the trigger on the following build... hope someone could please let me know if for any reason this may not work with Unraid?

Thanks

Fractal Node 804

Intel i7 10700k

ASUS ROG Strix Z490-G Gaming (Wi-Fi) 

Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO Black 32GB 2933 MHz DDR4 Dual Channel Memory Kit

Noctua NH-U9S

Corsair 850 Watt RM850x Modular ATX Power Supply/PSU

Re-using a few WD Reds and Samsung EVO SSD for cache.