Issues remain - although I successfully upgraded from v5 to v6.8.3

rockytt

Long story short: Got my old system (been up for over 12 years) running smoothly again last week on V5, and then a couple days ago it started having issues: Mostly connection issues, explorer freezing up while trying to access files, and (seemingly) unable to write new data/files. Knowing how frustrating it is for folks to try and help out, I upgraded to Version: 6.8.3 yesterday.

The data is telling me it's all still there, basic connection issues seem to be resolved, although I still have a hard time hitting the shares and individual disks. File explorer freezes/locks up, or it takes up to a minute to simply open a folder. This may be a separate issue, but I can't even install a simple plugin (plugin: wget: https://github.com/dlandon/unassigned.devices/raw/master/unassigned.devices.plg download failure (Network failure)) without having a problem.

Certainly wouldn't surprise me if some bit of hardware was failing - this is my second mb in 12 years - but am completely at a loss as to how to proceed - thanks for your patience (as always!)

tower-diagnostics-20201207-0724.zip

Thanks for your help on this - same error when trying to install any plugin (https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Squidly271/community.applications/master/plugins/community.applications.plg download failure (Network failure))

I pinged github and saw 67% packet loss (I'm no expert, but that doesn't sound good :))

Yeah - same flash drive from my initial purchase during the Bush administration - 

Potentially dumb question: how does one upgraded the disk formatting w/o destroying the data? (If possible, I'm guessing it's a "one disk at a time thing" and there's a detailed thread here somewhere!)

18 minutes ago, rockytt said:

Potentially dumb question: how does one upgraded the disk formatting w/o destroying the data?

You don't. Formatting always destroys the data. You must have enough space available to completely empty your largest drive, change its format, then you can proceed down the line copying from drive to drive, formatting after the copy is complete.

There is a stick thread describing several methods.

That's an interesting idea - slots are actually full these days :(

I know I want to get to xfs - although wondering if reiserfs would cause the behavior to change so suddenly? (I honestly don't know)

Feels like the github connection issues should be telling me something - was really hoping the diagnostics would show something obvious -