After hardware swap, UnRAID doesn't get IP, booting via Boot Order and GUI Mode does not work

Hi guys,

previously, I used an AsROCK J5005-ITX mainboard & CPU-Combo. Now, I switched to the mainboard MSI B460M Mortar & Intel i3-10100, but left everything else unchanged. Since the process for hardware switch was described as just plugging in the same USB Drive into the new mainboard, I was expecting this to work.

Unfortunately, there are a whole lot of problems making the machine entirely unusable.

• Network/Internet access is not working at all: I disabled / enabled DHCP & setting a manual IP in the /boot/config/network.cfg, without any good results. In the syslog, its mentioned that my router (192.168.178.1) proposed a IP address in the proper 192.168.178.X range, but nevertheless, a IP in range 168.X.X.X is set and I can not get internet access from the UnRAID machine, nor access the web UI/SSH via an external machine in the network. My Server does not show up in the network overview of my router at all. Even deleting the network.cfg file does nothing.
  • Booting into UnRAID only works via manual Boot Overdrive select. I already set UEFI USB Drive (with my proper drive even showing up) as the first boot priority, but booting automatically results in a blank black screen, not even a "no boot medium found"-error or such. Via manual boot selection it boots instantly.
  • Booting in the UnRAID GUI does result in a apparently properly working init of the system, but in the end, just a black screen with a blinking cursor in the upper left corner is showing up. I can not interact with the system at all, just pressing Ctrl+Alt+Delete results in shutdown messages and the machine actually shutting down.
  • Setting the mainboard to use legacy/CSM mode (and not UEFI) yields in the message "There is no VBIOS support detected in this card. BIOS CSM/UEFI settings in BIOS will be changed to UEFI.". I can not do anything else, it will always result in a restart, the BIOS resetting itself to default settings and I won't be allowed to boot.

I already upgraded the BIOS of my mainboard to the newest non-beta version (released in October this year) -> 7C82v13. Unfortunately, this did not make a difference at all.

I'm hoping you have some ideas what to do next! Please find my diagnostics attached to this post.

jonas-nas-diagnostics-20201208-0442.zip

1 hour ago, Noobfire said:

Unfortunately, there are a whole lot of problems making the machine entirely unusable.

• Network/Internet access is not working at all: I disabled / enabled DHCP & setting a manual IP in the /boot/config/network.cfg, without any good results. In the syslog, its mentioned that my router (192.168.178.1) proposed a IP address in the proper 192.168.178.X range, but nevertheless, a IP in range 168.X.X.X is set and I can not get internet access from the UnRAID machine, nor access the web UI/SSH via an external machine in the network. My Server does not show up in the network overview of my router at all. Even deleting the network.cfg file does nothing.
  • Booting into UnRAID only works via manual Boot Overdrive select. I already set UEFI USB Drive (with my proper drive even showing up) as the first boot priority, but booting automatically results in a blank black screen, not even a "no boot medium found"-error or such. Via manual boot selection it boots instantly.
  • Booting in the UnRAID GUI does result in a apparently properly working init of the system, but in the end, just a black screen with a blinking cursor in the upper left corner is showing up. I can not interact with the system at all, just pressing Ctrl+Alt+Delete results in shutdown messages and the machine actually shutting down.
  • Setting the mainboard to use legacy/CSM mode (and not UEFI) yields in the message "There is no VBIOS support detected in this card. BIOS CSM/UEFI settings in BIOS will be changed to UEFI.". I can not do anything else, it will always result in a restart, the BIOS resetting itself to default settings and I won't be allowed to boot.

The first issue definitely will require using the 6.9.0 beta 35 release of unRAID.  That version is required for the driver for the Realtek 8125B NIC that is on your board.

The other issues may also be related to the older Linux kernel (4.19.xx) in the 6.8.3 release.  Start by installing the beta which uses version 5.8.18 of the Linux kernel and has drivers for newer hardware.

i have the same problems as noobfire with RC1

Booting into UnRAID only works via manual Boot Overdrive select. I already set UEFI USB Drive (with my proper drive even showing up) as the first boot priority, but booting automatically results in a blank black screen, not even a "no boot medium found"-error or such. Via manual boot selection it boots instantly.

Booting in the UnRAID GUI does result in a apparently properly working init of the system, but in the end, just a black screen with a blinking cursor in the upper left corner is showing up. I can not interact with the system at all, just pressing Ctrl+Alt+Delete results in shutdown messages and the machine actually shutting down.

1 hour ago, txcpaul said:

i can boot up without gui, if i turn on EFI the screen stays black.

Where are you turning on the UEFI?  In the BIOS?  Or in the Unraid flash drive preparation program? 

You actually have to make sure that both the MB BIOS and the flash drive are setup for a UEFI boot sequence to work.

EDIT:  It is possible to easily change the flash drive to UEFI boot if that is the problem.

Edited by Frank1940

Hey,

I tried a lot today, yes both bios and drive are on EFI. It looks that this Board can't run unraid right now, I have a Pro license my old System was perfect running without any problems, but this MSI no chance at all, maybe there is a chance but i have no clue.

GUI is not working, on a restart screen stays black, I need to go in the Bios to start from there. 

• 1 year later...
On 12/8/2020 at 12:20 AM, Noobfire said:

After much fiddling around, I updated my usb drive to the new 6.9.0 beta 35 as you both suggested. This fixed all my problems!

Thanks a lot for your help!

The network drivers for my 2.5GBit NIC were not part of the kernel indeed. The new kernel fixed also the startup errors.

THIS ALSO WORKED FOR ME, Asrock H570 itx/ac with G5905, updated drive to (6.9.2)