How to "move" config to new USB

So I've been using UR for couple weeks now and I'm ready to pull the trigger and purchase it.   The current USB bootup fob that I'm using is pretty old - and I want to move  to a newer one.   And I would like to keep my current configuration.   So what the best way to do that?   I'm sure that question has been ask before and I'm hoping you have a good canned answer for me....;-)

....Romany

Set up your new USB stick just like you did your existing stick to begin with, but don't bother doing any customizations. Purchase the key on the new stick using the registration tool, make a backup on the flash page, shut down, copy the config folder from your current running key to the new key, delete the trial key from the config folder and extract the new registered key from the backup you made before you shut down and copy it to the new stick.

Boot back up and and you should be golden.

If you are fuzzy on anything I said, please ask for clarification.

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...
On 12/8/2020 at 3:32 PM, jonathanm said:

Set up your new USB stick just like you did your existing stick to begin with, but don't bother doing any customizations. Purchase the key on the new stick using the registration tool, make a backup on the flash page, shut down, copy the config folder from your current running key to the new key, delete the trial key from the config folder and extract the new registered key from the backup you made before you shut down and copy it to the new stick.

Boot back up and and you should be golden.

If you are fuzzy on anything I said, please ask for clarification.

Would the process be the same for replacing a usb stick that already has a pro license?

23 hours ago, jonathanm said:

No. Please add more detail to what you are asking.

I have a running machine with a pro license but the usb stick is one of those flimsy ones that extends out and only the plastic part fits in the slot. I have knocked it out before while accessing the back and I'm afraid that I may break it one day. I would like to move the whole configuration over to a new "mini" drive

10 minutes ago, Dropkick Murphy said:

I have a running machine with a pro license but the usb stick is one of those flimsy ones that extends out and only the plastic part fits in the slot. I have knocked it out before while accessing the back and I'm afraid that I may break it one day. I would like to move the whole configuration over to a new "mini" drive

If you haven't transferred the license to a new stick in the past year, it's just a matter of copying everything over to the new drive and running the make bootable script, then booting up unraid and going through the license transfer wizard.

However... I highly recommend NOT moving to a mini drive, they don't have very good lifespans compared to full size drives, the concentrated heat seems to kill them. You would be much better off getting an adapter to move the stick inside the case. Something like this, I typically bend the L shaped bit back straight and stack it to an unused slot.

image.png.0fda04e537b6fe138c6ddc1b7382c809.png

• Like 1

I'm gonna ask my question here as it's somewhat related to this topic. I had 2 events with the thumb drive running unraid so far. Both times I copied the config folder over to the new thumb drive, and both times I was greeted by a rather old config (6 months ish), as the dockers listed were long gone and not installed anymore.

The reason this baffles me is that both times I copied the config folder from a less then a week old thumb drive backup (I have weekly backups of my thumb drive using the excellent CA plugin).

I was able to one click reinstall everything using the "past apps" tab in CA, but still... What is happening here and how to fix it?

3 hours ago, NAStyBox said:

Yeah, that's a neat solution as long as you don't have any card interference. I've had some boards where that would get in the way of the last PCIE slot. Good option if you have room.

• 11 months later...

So I have a situation where I am running 6.8.3 and I have some issues....

The actual system is running fine however :

1) I cannot upgrade to 6.9.1 or 6.9.2 it just hangs - see CANNOT UPGRADE FROM 6.8.3 TO 6.9.1

2) I cannot backup the flash drive via the gui, it never exits.

So I have bought a couple of Samsung usb drives (actually the ones suggested by space invader one).

Can I install 6.9.2 OS using the UnRaid USB Creator then copy the config folder from my still working 6.8.3 usb drive?

Will this work?

Thanks

2 hours ago, Squid said:

You can always simply download the .zip file and everything in the root of the zip (ie: all the bz* files) save them onto the flash drive and reboot.  Don't extract the files within /config in the zip

Thanks for the response @Squid

Can I just ask for clarification..... are you saying don't use the usb creator from unraid, download the 6.9.2 zip file extract just the files in the top folder and stick them on the usb drive that I am currently using? Sorry poor post by me... I forgot to say I suspect the usb currently in my unraid system is going to fail soon, which is why I bought the new ones.

So would this work then

1) Download 6.9.2

2) Unzip top files only 

3) Copy those files into /boot (ignoring the config, EFI- and syslinux folders)

4) Reboot

This would give me a working 6.9.2

Can I then just take that usb drive and do an image copy onto one of the new ones I have bought and use it instead?

Thanks again

1 hour ago, Squiggley said:

This would give me a working 6.9.2

Yes

1 hour ago, Squiggley said:

Can I then just take that usb drive and do an image copy onto one of the new ones I have bought and use it instead?

If you like.  You'd still have to transfer the registration key via the GUI

I suggested just manually doing the upgrade because you were having issues for some reason.