(Solved) Cache drive won't fill up more then 25-30%?

Hi! I'm migrating some data from a USB drive that is going to be shucked at some point. I'm doing it through Finder on the iMac since I'm going over the data at the same time, but I do know there are better ways of migrating. :)

My problem is that when transferring files to the share my 250GB cache SSD won't fill up more then 25-30% before the files goes directly to the array - thus slowing everything down. It's been working good before, and this behavior started after I did the Parity Swap Procedure. 

Any ideas to what the problem is?

The share (I'm writing to) setting for cache is "Yes".

Global Share Settings - Cache Settings: Use cache disk "Yes" and min. free space 25GB

Attaching diagnostics file

tower-diagnostics-20201210-1336.zip

Edited by kim_sv
Marked as solved
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry for late reply and thank you for your help.

Yes, the minimum share space was set to 200GB because I thought that kept my drives from filling up that amount.

I now know it's not like that. unRAID really should have the ability to set individual minimal drive space since one of the big selling point is being able to use any size drive you have. Say I wan't ≈10% free space on my drives, I really have to micro manage this now. But maybe I'm missing something... 😝

I found some other thread about the same topic.

11 hours ago, kim_sv said:

maybe I'm missing something

The purpose of Minimum Free is to prevent write failure from full disks.

Unraid has no way to know when it chooses a disk for a file how large the file will become. You should set Minimum Free to larger than the largest file you expect to write to the share.

It really doesn't have anything to do with how large a disk is, it is just about not letting Unraid choose a disk that doesn't have enough free space for the file you are writing.

For example, suppose a disk has 11 G free, a user share has Minimum set to 10G. If you try to write a 20G file, Unraid can choose the disk because it has more than Minimum, but the write will fail because it runs out of space. If you expect to write 20G to the share, then you should set Minimum larger than 20G.

• Like 1
On 12/23/2020 at 3:49 AM, trurl said:

The purpose of Minimum Free is to prevent write failure from full disks.

Unraid has no way to know when it chooses a disk for a file how large the file will become. You should set Minimum Free to larger than the largest file you expect to write to the share.

It really doesn't have anything to do with how large a disk is, it is just about not letting Unraid choose a disk that doesn't have enough free space for the file you are writing.

For example, suppose a disk has 11 G free, a user share has Minimum set to 10G. If you try to write a 20G file, Unraid can choose the disk because it has more than Minimum, but the write will fail because it runs out of space. If you expect to write 20G to the share, then you should set Minimum larger than 20G.

Yes I've read up on this now and do understand the idea behind it. 👍

Still, as a feature it would be nice to be able to set a minimum disk space for individual drives. Can't see why that would be a problem?