Intel iGPU i915 driver crashing issues on various linux kernels

5 hours ago, random672315 said:

as you can see, its not the applications fault... its probably kernel or driver bug in the i915 driver.... so no i dont spend 4,99 just for testing, because no application is capable of transcoding without freezing in minutes... thanks for help.

I am using this driver since Dec 2020 with HW-transcoding and Plex. There are no issues at all - so it can't be a driver bug...

In my opinion, its the iGPU on your processor or an other hardware related problem because "no application" is working without a freeze...

Edited by Zonediver
16 minutes ago, Zonediver said:

I am using this driver since Dec 2020 with HW-transcoding and Plex. There are no issues at all - so it can't be a driver bug...

In my opinion, its the iGPU on your processor or an other hardware related problem because "no application" is working without a freeze...

This is not a hardware issue. Hardware transcoding works fine with other OSes. This issue only exists in Unraid. It is 100% a software issue of some kind in this environment. 

Edited by mrow

I understand what @Zonediver is saying, because I as well have a rock solid hw transcoding with plex (i3 7100, multiple 4k and 1080p transcodes without an issue and for a long time now).  So I think your problem is because your board has IPMI it somehow troubles the whole chain (I read it somewhere, I think it was in the vgpu plugin thread)

1 minute ago, arturovf said:

I understand what @Zonediver is saying, because I as well have a rock solid hw transcoding with plex (i3 7100, multiple 4k and 1080p transcodes without an issue and for a long time now).  So I think your problem is because your board has IPMI it somehow troubles the whole chain (I read it somewhere, I think it was in the vgpu plugin thread)

It’s certainly possible it’s related to IPMI. However, as I said, no issues occur in other OSes so it’s still some kind of issue in the Unraid environment. My server is located 4 hours away in a different state in a house that doesn’t always have people there so IPMI is not optional for me. I would be happy to try to troubleshoot this issue with the developers if they need any assistance. 

12 minutes ago, arturovf said:

I dont have IPMI. Which version of unraid you are using and what software you are using for transcode? Thank you.

1 hour ago, mrow said:

It’s certainly possible it’s related to IPMI. However, as I said, no issues occur in other OSes so it’s still some kind of issue in the Unraid environment. My server is located 4 hours away in a different state in a house that doesn’t always have people there so IPMI is not optional for me. I would be happy to try to troubleshoot this issue with the developers if they need any assistance. 

Maybe @ich777 can help you out in this matter

1 hour ago, random672315 said:

I dont have IPMI. Which version of unraid you are using and what software you are using for transcode? Thank you.

B250 board with i3 7100 and 16gb ram (will upgrade to z590 and 11700 and 32gb ram when HDR issues are solved)

Unraid 6.9.2

Plex pass

Linuxserver plex container with this in extra parameters (6gb RAM disk for transcodes):

--device=/dev/dri --no-healthcheck --mount type=tmpfs,destination=/tmp,tmpfs-size=6000000000

Intel GPU top plugin

No modified go file, i915.conf file in /boot/config/modprobe.d. (I read that this won't be necessary anymore, just install the gpu top plugin)

Edited by arturovf
On 6/21/2021 at 10:03 PM, Opawesome said:

No, not yet. I am planning on doing another test when I upgrade to Unraid v6.9.x (I am currently running v 6.8.3), or when I change my CPU (I am planning to maybe upgrade to a Xeon E3 1275v6 or the like one of these mornings).

Have you just tried yet to disable the integrated GPU on the Supermicro board, there should be a jumper on the board for that if it's a Supermicro board.

On 3/19/2021 at 4:10 PM, Lee Kim Tatt said:

Hi there, i'm using ASRock J3455-ITX, 16GB RAM. 

weird, my system is solid rock stable with 6.8.3, Jellyfin-AMD-Intel-Nvidia docker + Intel GPU Top. Capable to transcode HEVC to H.264 no less than 100fps (mostly around 120fps).

On 8/22/2021 at 9:38 PM, random672315 said:

My system also freeze when transcoding over jellyfin within 5 minutes. I'm running Unraid 6.9.2 and have a asrock j3455.

That's really strange since I've also run such a system as my "Test" server, when does it crash or what did you do exactly?

I don't experienced a crash yet but have to say I only watched content on it for about 10 minutes...

Do you got the i915.conf file in place or do you have the Intel-GPU-TOP plugin installed?

4 hours ago, mrow said:

This issue only exists in Unraid. It is 100% a software issue of some kind in this environment.

But why does it then work on my system(s) and others just flawlessly, would be better to search the root cause and fix it before blaming unRAID itself, never heard of that problem before...

@arturovf thanks for mentioning me... :)

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Have you just tried yet to disable the integrated GPU on the Supermicro board, there should be a jumper on the board for that if it's a Supermicro board.

That's really strange since I've also run such a system as my "Test" server, when does it crash or what did you do exactly?

I don't experienced a crash yet but have to say I only watched content on it for about 10 minutes...

Do you got the i915.conf file in place or do you have the Intel-GPU-TOP plugin installed?

But why does it then work on my system(s) and others just flawlessly, would be better to search the root cause and fix it before blaming unRAID itself, never heard of that problem before...

try trancoding many videos at the same time or wait over 30 minutes, sometimes it freezes immediately and sometimes happen after 10-20 minutes. At the moment it freeze immediately and dmesg -w doesnt put anything out after that and the blinking cursor at the end stops blinking. I tried with the intel-gpu-top, with the i915.conf file and with intel gvt-g, not at the same time, one after one, but nothing works... thanks for help.

3 minutes ago, random672315 said:

intel gvt-g,

GVT-g won't work on your system as a little side note.

4 minutes ago, random672315 said:

thanks for help.

Can you upload your Diagnostics please (Tools -> Diagnostics -> Download -> drop the downloaded zip file here in the text box)?

Really can't tell what's going on since I don't know anything about your system and installed plugins or modifications...

Strange thing is that on my system it works just flawlessly with 6.10.0-rc1

1 hour ago, ich777 said:

Disabling the GPU on the SuperMicro board will break IPMI so that really isn’t a solution even if it fixes the problem. 

Also, I don’t know why it works for others but not those of us with this issue. But the fact that it works in other OS environments and not in the Unraid environment means it has to be something in the Unraid environment. What other conclusion could their be? 

Edited by mrow
5 minutes ago, mrow said:

Disabling the GPU on the SuperMicro board will break IPMI so that really isn’t a solution even if it fixes the problem. 

Can you try it anyways for troubleshooting?

5 minutes ago, mrow said:

But the fact that it works in other OS environments and not in the Unraid environment means it has to be something in the Unraid environment.

Can you be a bit more specific? On what other OS environments does it work? Have you tried it on your own with your hardware?

As said above HW transcoding works just fine on my 10th gen, on 9th gen, ASROCK J3455 & J4105 with unRAID 6.8.3, 6.9.2, 6.10.0-rc2

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same issue with i915 driver and Plex HW transcoding causing a complete system hang, the only way I can get the system going again is the HW reset button.

I have a Core i5 2390T which supports Quick Sync and I've tried the various methods mentioned previously to try and resolve the issue.

For me I can play only a few seconds with Plex reporting HW transcoding then the system freezes, nothing displayed in any logs.

I have an i5 2400 so will try that also just to rule out any issue with the CPU.

Has anyone on this thread had any more joy with this issue ?

• 1 month later...
On 9/20/2021 at 1:12 PM, fireplex said:

I have the same issue with i915 driver and Plex HW transcoding causing a complete system hang, the only way I can get the system going again is the HW reset button.

I have a Core i5 2390T which supports Quick Sync and I've tried the various methods mentioned previously to try and resolve the issue.

For me I can play only a few seconds with Plex reporting HW transcoding then the system freezes, nothing displayed in any logs.

I have an i5 2400 so will try that also just to rule out any issue with the CPU.

Has anyone on this thread had any more joy with this issue ?

there's a few of us with the same kind of issue over here. no solution apart from sticking to 6.8.3 yet: