Group Buy - Sharkoon Rebel 12 Eco cases

fotogenius

Hope the following post doesn't go against any forum rules, if so mod please delete and accept my apologies.

Having done quite a bit of reading in this forum and always coming accross users who seem to be interested in the above mentioned case, but not being able to get it in USA and even some parts of Europe, has given me an idea.

Living in Switzerland I seem to have great access to this case. So I thought why not order a whole bunch of them and then send to all of you who want such a case. Basically I would do a mass order and then redistribute it to whoever wants one. Having seen some threads and pictures that use this case it seems its predestined for large unRAID systems. I dont want to mention any prices yet, since I dont have an answer from Sharkoon yet and I dont know what shipping and handling costs would be. Base price appears to be about $80-90, but like I said, I have no idea what kind of shipping and handling costs are gonna come yet. I should be able to get a better price if I order bulk.

Basically this post is just to see who, if anybody, would be interested. This applies mainly to member from the US, but of course others, who have trouble getting this case and would want it are welcome to show their interest.

So let me know and as soon as I know more I will post it here.

@Mod: Could this perhaps be made sticky? Of course only if it doesnt go against forum rules. :)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It may be cheaper to source them via Asia, as that's probably where they're made. One user here has found the case (called iCute) in Thailand.

Also, I've got a feeling Sharkoon have discontinued the case -- it's not in their list on the web site and Scan have delisted it. If you're in Europe and want one, buy it up quick!

This is an interesting proposition, and I'm interested to see what comes of it.  This isn't against the forum rules to my knowledge.  However, if/when you actually start selling these just post in the Good Deals forum instead of this one.  I can even move this whole thread into 'Good Deals' if you would like me to.

If this does work out, I may be able to help coordinate it.  Perhaps a bulk shipment from Switzerland to me in Reno, NV, then I could redistribute them throughout the US.  Only if that ends up being cheaper for everyone...it may be cheaper to send individual cases from Switzerland to addresses throughout the US, I'm not sure.

I personally may be interested in ordering several for some of my client builds.

While this all sounds great, I won't be surprised if the shipping from Switzerland to the US makes this far too expensive to be practical.  Generally a large package like this is very expensive to ship.  The cheapest server I've shipped to date still cost $200, and that was in a smaller case (Cooler Master 590) and with no international border crossings.

I wouldn't think its against the rules either, However. All parties involved have to realize that Lime-technology is not running this GroupBuy and in the end can not be held responsible for any short comings that could possibly come from this if there are any. Unless of course Limetech him self steps up and says otherwise.

I've seen many Group Buys in the past on many websites and often it goes pretty smooth and as well I've seen some where somebody got stuck paying a lot more in shipping than he/she expected so keep that in mind when you start dividing up who pays who.

Otherwise man that is one Sexy looking case.  ;D

@userpaul: thanks for that observation. I will see what I can do if there is an ample interest. Otherwise I will see if there is a suitable alternative option.

@kizer: Yeah I've also had good experiences with group buys. As soon as I have some time I'm going to check shipping costs. They seem to be readily available here in Switzerland, and the more you send the cheaper the freight costs/case are going to be.

I purchased this case in the Uk from Scan.. Observations

Sharkoon do not respond to e-mails and if you buy these cases most people will want the additional fan holders which seem to be always out of stock. I had to get mine from italy. :o

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=8784.0

They're only out of stock when you want to buy them...  ;D

In stock now: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/sharkoon-rebel-12-fan-frame-%28525-front-bay-frame-mounting-to-hold-a-140mm-or-120mm-fan%29

As mentioned before, Scan have delisted the case, so get in quick buying the cases and frames as Sharkoon have a new range out now.

This is an interesting proposition, and I'm interested to see what comes of it.  This isn't against the forum rules to my knowledge.  However, if/when you actually start selling these just post in the Good Deals forum instead of this one.  I can even move this whole thread into 'Good Deals' if you would like me to.

If this does work out, I may be able to help coordinate it.  Perhaps a bulk shipment from Switzerland to me in Reno, NV, then I could redistribute them throughout the US.  Only if that ends up being cheaper for everyone...it may be cheaper to send individual cases from Switzerland to addresses throughout the US, I'm not sure.

I personally may be interested in ordering several for some of my client builds.

While this all sounds great, I won't be surprised if the shipping from Switzerland to the US makes this far too expensive to be practical.  Generally a large package like this is very expensive to ship.  The cheapest server I've shipped to date still cost $200, and that was in a smaller case (Cooler Master 590) and with no international border crossings.

It wouldn't be as expensive if you bought a whole shipping container full off of him.  They charge a flat rate per container to ship overseas by boat, regardless of one on 100 in it.  I think its about $2000 per container (40 feet long, 10 feet high, 8 feet wide).  You should easily be able to get 1000 in a container, so just $2 shipping each!  :)

$150 is a pretty good price.

Another alternative is to do what I did to find this case in the first place -- spend hours online searching dozens of stores in order to find the "perfect case" -- if it's available in Europe and in Asia, it's very possible some etailer in the U.S. is selling it, albeit under a different name. It's the Sharkoon Rebel 12 in Europe, the iCute in Asia. In the U.S.? Who knows!

FWIW: I recently purchased this case and 2 extra fan holders.

Its being shipped to Texas (still in transit).

Cost was approx. $150.00 USD including shipping.

The best part was placing the order thru Amazon.de considering I have no idea how to speak or read German.

Google translate was my new best friend for about an hour.  ;D

I will wait another few days to see if a GP comes together, but if not my father speaks German; I will have him order me one.

Does anyone know if the Rebel 12 would support 4 5in3s?  Looks like maybe only 3, but appears maybe that floppy slot at the top could be removed and used.

Thanks!

HI

It does but with some work :0

you need to remove the rivets for the top

remove the 5.25 to 3.5 brackets  on the top slot

and saw out the plastik around the 3.5 diskette drive hole :)

it is all fairly easy to .... just needs a bit of patience and some tools