RX580 GPU passthrough on Win10 VM

digidep

I have watched all of Spaceinvaders on this topic, but not able to get this to work with my Win10 VM.

Only been running Unraid for a month or so, so please be gentle.

I just don't get output to the monitor after starting the VM.  I'm guessing I'm missing something stupid.

I have manually made the recommended changes in the VM XML (red below) that are suggested for GPU passthrough, keeping it on the same bus and making it multi-function device.

<hostdev mode='subsystem' type='pci' managed='yes'>
      <driver name='vfio'/>
      <source>
        <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x01' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
      </source>
      <rom file='/mnt/cache/domains/vbios/Sapphire.RX580.8192.180719.rom'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x04' slot='0x00' function='0x0' multifunction='on'/>
    </hostdev>
      <driver name='vfio'/>
      <source>
        <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x01' slot='0x00' function='0x1'/>
      </source>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x04' slot='0x00' function='0x1'/>
    </hostdev>

Interestingly, I am able to have it work with a MacOS VM.

• 2 months later...
On 12/11/2020 at 9:14 AM, digidep said:

I have watched all of Spaceinvaders on this topic, but not able to get this to work with my Win10 VM.

Only been running Unraid for a month or so, so please be gentle.

I just don't get output to the monitor after starting the VM.  I'm guessing I'm missing something stupid.

I have manually made the recommended changes in the VM XML (red below) that are suggested for GPU passthrough, keeping it on the same bus and making it multi-function device.

<driver name='vfio'/>
      <source>
        <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x01' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
      </source>
      <rom file='/mnt/cache/domains/vbios/Sapphire.RX580.8192.180719.rom'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x04' slot='0x00' function='0x0' multifunction='on'/>
    </hostdev>
      <driver name='vfio'/>
      <source>
        <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x01' slot='0x00' function='0x1'/>
      </source>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x04' slot='0x00' function='0x1'/>
    </hostdev>

Interestingly, I am able to have it work with a MacOS VM.

Were you ever able to get your RX580 passed through?

10 minutes ago, digidep said:

And as I post, they release GA of 6.9.

Going to try tomorrow as see if it works any better.

I'm sure every system is different but I am not much of a computer person and I updated from 6.8.3 to 6.9rc2 without any issues. I made a backup of my boot drive and updated all my apps and plugins. After it finished updating, I turned the server off and back on....everything is working just fine.

If you figure out RX580 please update this thread....I dont have much time to get it worked out but if I do get it figured out, I'll post here and tell you what worked. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/2/2021 at 2:16 PM, SPOautos said:

If you figure out RX580 please update this thread....I dont have much time to get it worked out but if I do get it figured out, I'll post here and tell you what worked. 

I'm just spying on you now @SPOautos because I was trying to see if you had a recent diagnostics file posted somewhere 😂. The RX 580 is a great card for eth mining by the way, I get 28-28.5 MH/s on mine.

Just in case anyone is still having trouble:

As I'm sure you both know the RX 580 is plagued by the vendor reset bug, so even if you manage to get it going, without the vendor reset patch applied it won't be pretty with most OS. I managed to get mine passed through to Windows 10 without a custom Unraid kernel with only occasional restarts, but once I started mining on it in a Windows VM it would cause the whole Unraid host to hang after a few minutes of heavy workload. 

I managed to get mine passed through with basically the same xml as what's in OP. Once I was on a kernel with the vendor reset patch applied I was only getting a black screen as well. I had to change to legacy boot mode and use SEABIOS to get it working. This usually involves creating a VM from scratch as it's not default, but you can use the existing vdisk if you have one.

Edited by lnxd
5 hours ago, lnxd said:

I'm just spying on you now @SPOautos because I was trying to see if you had a recent diagnostics file posted somewhere 😂. The RX 580 is a great card for eth mining by the way, I get 28-28.5 MH/s on mine.

Just in case anyone is still having trouble:

As I'm sure you both know the RX 580 is plagued by the vendor reset bug, so even if you manage to get it going, without the vendor reset patch applied it won't be pretty with most OS. I managed to get mine passed through to Windows 10 without a custom Unraid kernel with only occasional restarts, but once I started mining on it in a Windows VM it would cause the whole Unraid host to hang after a few minutes of heavy workload. 

I managed to get mine passed through with basically the same xml as what's in OP. Once I was on a kernel with the vendor reset patch applied I was only getting a black screen as well. I had to change to legacy boot mode and use SEABIOS to get it working. This usually involves creating a VM from scratch as it's not default, but you can use the existing vdisk if you have one.

I was able to get Win 10 going with me RX580 but it became flakey and at some point crashed and I was never really able to get it going again. I just decided it wasn't stable enough for me to care about, I didnt really need Win 10 on this machine so just stopped messing with it. However since my card is just sitting there I did decide to look into mining and am working on getting your app setup and figured out. I'll probably put in a second card that has hdmi for my tv and is easy to pass through and just use this one for mining.

• Like 1