Inconsistent Boot Trouble

Zggis

I have noticed some inconsistent behavior with my Unraid v6.8.3 server. Last night I did a clean shutdown of the server, when I started it a few minutes later it would not boot the Unraid OS from my flash drive. I went into the MSI BIOS menu to make sure the boot order was fine and noticed the USB bootable flash drive was not detected.

After a few hours of messing with BIOS settings, switching USB ports, and reformatting/restoring the USB bootable flash drive I was able to get the server to boot into the Unraid OS. The next day I decided to see if the issue was actually gone so I performed a reboot through the Unraid web interface and it rebooted without issue. Next test, I performed a full shutdown through the Unraid web interface, same issue, flash drive not detected.

My flash drive (model below) is only 2 weeks old and is a USB 2.0. I find it hard to believe its the culprit even though it seems like all the evidence is pointing to it at the moment. Another flash drive I have with trial Unraid seems to be consistently detected without issues, though I couldn't say what its model is. I was wondering if anyone had any advice or steps I can try before I swap it out.

Hardware:

Motherboard: MSI B365M PRO-VH

Flash Drive: Kingston DTSE9H/16GBZ (Connected to a USB2.0 port on the motherboard directly)

Notable BIOS Settings:

USB Boot Mode: LEGACY + UEFI

Fast Boot: Disabled

Edited by Zggis