NAVI 5700XT passthrough

KrisMin

Hi,
I've been battling two days with my 5700XT and Win10 VM. The VM boots and is usable until in a random moment it freezes (under load). 

Nothing I did could fix it. I am out of ideas and honestly I have not found any success stories with navi & long term use in Unraid VM.

All the hardware is stable and tested on a separate windows install.
Probably did close to 30 different configs  and enabled/disabled CMS etc in bios. All ending up in a same place. > random crash.

I think, I have tried all the guidlines what allmighty google gave me. Now I am out of ideas. --> likely to hop on to RTX train instead.

Using the newest Unraid release.

Is the any hope left for me besides switching the card?

Did you change your Machine from I440fx to Q35 ?

I'm assuming that you made sure the video card is selected under the sound card also. 

Did put in the video card BIOS?

Second thing to try is go to VM Manager under settings click over to advanced.

under the table for PCIe ACES override; change this to both. (if both doesn't work try downstream or multi). Then reselect the video card under the VM as the ID address would have changed. 

Dose the VM run fine no problems when you are not passing though the gpu? 

If so use this tool below.

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

uninstall eveything it can. 

Then boot up the vm with the gpu pass though and reinstall the drivers. as I recall the 5700 only had the reset bug but they came up with a patch.

https://forum.level1techs.com/t/navi-reset-kernel-patch/147547

Edited by runamuk

I did set the PCIe ACES override to disabled, multi, and both. It made no difference in stability, but every time the change was made I had to conf a new VM and point it to the existing image, because the old one didn't boot anymore. That's likely normal behavior right?

It can be that I was on the wrong track and VM itself indeed ran fine. The problem likely was a combination of two things. What I now did was:

a. I reinstalled AMD graphics drivers in the VM

b. I reset the GPU settings to factory defaults again and cleared the buffer (even tho they should have been reset  at machine reboot).

Now It stress tests and runs fine so far. 

Thanks for the new ideas!