Recycle Bin/Deleted File Access - Trying to accomplish something different than the plugin does.

So, I put my plans on actually using my UnRaid server on the backburner because I have figured out that I have a hard requirement that UnRaid cannot fill out of the gate.

The problem is, there is no recycle bin.

So, after searching around somewhat I found out that there is a recycle bin, through a plugin, however that also does not do what I want, as I don't want the recycle bin or its contents to be able to be deleted by users accessing the server via SMB, but only through the Unraid web interface or a VM. I want to say ahead of time, that I'm not using this in place of backups, I want this feature to both cover what backups can't cover (extremely recent files), and to protect the user from themselves with accidental deletions.

So what are my potential solutions. It's been suggested that I use a cron job every minute to change the permissions of deleted files in the recycle bin, however that does not work as a solution because a user could potentially delete all of the files at once.

The only solution I have been able to think of is to have the main share shared to a virtual machine, which then shares that share to the end user. Im uncertain of how much overhead this will have, but I'm not concerned about cpu performance if that's the worry.

I suppose another way this could be done is with a Docker container, however, I am even more unfamiliar with those than I am setting up a virtual machine (which is to say not that experienced).

I was hoping someone might have insight into either:

• How to accomplish the overarching task of having a recycle bin end users cannot access
  • What pitfalls I might run into with the VM plan of action
    • Is it possible to for instance, use the recycle bin of the VM and have the share/unraid pool as a mounted drive
  • How a Docker container might compare
Edited by NasOnABudget