Setup Mayan-EDMS and supporting containers using docker-compose

d8sychain

1. Installing Docker Compose

Add the following to /boot/config/go in order to install docker-compose on each boot:

COMPOSE_VERSION=$(curl -s https://api.github.com/repos/docker/compose/releases/latest | grep 'tag_name' | cut -d\" -f4) 
curl -L https://github.com/docker/compose/releases/download/${COMPOSE_VERSION}/docker-compose-`uname -s`-`uname -m` -o /usr/local/bin/docker-compose 
chmod +x /usr/local/bin/docker-compose

2. Persisting user-defined networks

By default, UnRAID will not persist user-defined Docker networks. You'll need to enable this setting in order to avoid having to re-run docker-compose up -d every time your server is rebooted. It's found in the Settings tab, [Server-IP/Settings/DockerSettings] You'll need to set Advanced View to On and disable the Docker service then Apply to make the change.

Set Preserve user defined networks: Yes

Enable Docker: Yes

Apply

3. Prep for Mayan-EDMS

Connect to Unraid with a SSH terminal or use the WebGUI console terminal

Execute each line:

mkdir /mnt/user/appdata/mayan-edms
cd /mnt/user/appdata/mayan-edms
curl https://gitlab.com/mayan-edms/mayan-edms/-/raw/master/docker/docker-compose.yml -O
nano .env

Edit the .env file and add the following:

MAYAN_APP_VOLUME=/mnt/user/appdata/mayan-edms/media
MAYAN_REDIS_VOLUME=/mnt/user/appdata/mayan-edms/redis
MAYAN_POSTGRES_VOLUME=/mnt/user/appdata/mayan-edms/postgres

To confirm 

cat .env

You will most likely need to edit the docker-compose.yml changing at least the default port number

ports: - "80:8000"

To something like

ports: - "8002:8000"

4. Launch the Mayan EDMS Docker Compose containers

docker-compose --file docker-compose.yml --project-name mayan up --detach

Initial Thoughts...

I have been using Paperless-ng (a fork of the original Paperless project) for a few weeks and following its development. There are several promising features in the works (at the time of writing this). Over all Paperless-ng is simple to use and effective at what currently does. That being said its not packed with features like some of the other DMS out there. There isn't much I can say about Mayan-EDMS in comparison to Paperless-ng, seeing how I have had this running for maybe an hour. My initial thoughts are Mayan-EDMS is PACKED with features and customization. However, its all a little bit overwhelming and not as intuitive to setup and just start using like Paperless-ng is. 

Summary

If you're an individual or even a small business like a freelancer / one-person-show, Paperless-ng is probably a good choose for you. If you're a bigger operation and need features like multi-user environment with roles and permissions, document versioning, digital signatures, collaboration tools, then Mayan-EDMS or maybe another DMS is probably better suited for you.

I plan on continuing to try out Mayan-EDMS and may update this if my opinions on Mayan change any 

If you're interested in the history of Mayan-EDMS and its creator then this is a good watch YouTube: FLOSS Weekly 253: Mayan EDMS

• 2 years later...
On 2/1/2021 at 4:41 AM, d8sychain said:

You will most likely need to edit the docker-compose.yml changing at least the default port number

ports: - "80:8000"

To something like

ports: - "8002:8000"

I checked the file, but I can't find a line that mentioned that port combination. I find a lot of references to ports all over the file, but not "ranged" like that. Do I need to change every instance of a port present in the file?