High performance VM station hardware compatibility.

cgo

Hello everybody,

I would like to know whether anyone has experience using unraid as a high performance VM/DOCKER station with GPU support. I would like to use preferrably the single processor AMD epyc 7xxx, min. 2x nvme and a single GPU to start.  I was wondering whether there are users out there who can share their experiences with particular motherboards/GPU/nvme configurations.

Maybe there are people out there running a dual epyc /dual GPU configuration, it would be interesting to hear their thoughts and hardware choices as well.

Thanks!

Edited by cgo
I was too stupid the first time
  • cgo changed the title to High performance VM station hardware compatibility.
  • 2 months later...

I haven't used anything of that performance level, but what I can do is confirm that the VM structures within unRAID are essentially the same used by other larger-scale providers, albeit with their own take on infrastructure management. Passthrough suffers the same caveats as any other IOMMU-bound KVM under the Linux Kernel, same with other things.

Edge cases might require some manual tweaking and console level stuff, configuration of options that may not be directly exposed and so forth, but for the most part it should scale and oprate very well.

The only limitation I can think of is that by default the VMs and Docker systems are configured to use on-disk images instead of whole-disk for VM and on-disk for Docker, with good reasons for it being the default. These options can, for the most part, be changed, but they vary from Common to No Man's Land where edge cases go to thrive or die.