Replacing complete IT Infrastructure at Home for Gaming, NAS and Business

Net_Lexi

Hello Community,

I am new into VM, Application Server etc. but highly interested in a new build. I would like to get some feedback and ideas from the community, that has much more years of expierence than I do. I would like to show my current setup and what is my plan for the future. I hope, this is also the right forum.

Current Setup

• 1x ThinkPad for working (W10, i5, 8 GB, 240 GB SSD) ~6 Years old
  • 1x RaspBerry Pi 4 4 GB Ram (Media Center)
  • Synology NAS 4 TB (Long-Term Backup for Photos, Software, Games and Extra Partition for Business Documents, eBook Folder)
  • 1x Gaming Laptop HP Omen 15 (AMD Ryzen 7 4800H, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512GB SSD, Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 6GB)
  • Galaxy Tablet S6 Lite (Business, Note Taking, Financial App for creating invoices)
  • Mini Forums PC (8 GB Ram, 120 GB SSD + 2 TB HDD) - Currently not in use

What I would like to do

• Selling my Thinkpad (broken display and usb malfunction) and my gaming Laptop (Will be most propably refunded because of hardware defects inside gurantee) I will have like 1600 € Budget + 300-400 €
  • Upgrade NAS to 8 TB for doing backups of the Unraid System
  • Build one new PC running Unraid
    • 3-4 x 2 TB HDD for Data
    • 2 x 500 GB SSD for VMs
    • Intel 5 Ryzen Processor + Mainboard....??? or complete Intel Architecture - unsure about that.
    • Building everything in a "Cube" Case (of course not ITX ;-) but a bit more compact, because I will move in 8 month abroad and need to take it with me)
    • 16 GB Ram
    • 1 x GPU ready for Middle-Quality VR titles
    • Double LAN Port (we have one fail-over LTE Router with Ethernet + 1 GB/s Coaxial Cable)
  • I would like to use the unraid server for following things
    • Gaming VM also for Low Budget VR Titles (I dont need ultra settings because I play usally titles that a re 2-3 years old.)
    • Office VM (Running W10, Office, multiple Browsers and Communications Apps, doing Web Meetings)
    • Video Studio VM (my Boyfriend want to use the machine once per month for some small video editing, not at the same time like me playing games), can be started manually if needed.
    • Docker: I need to learn for my job how it works and need to play around with that
    • NAS: Videos, Music, eBooks, Software, Games (Steam, GOG Libs)

The plan is to use my Mini Forums PC to connect one of the VM like a thinclient or over the ThinkPad X1 from my partner. Watching Videos on my tablet, that are stored on the NAS. Connect the Raspberry to the NAS to show Videos from NAS or play Music from my library / accessing Games for Emulators (SNES mostly).

I am obviously a person, that loves to play around with this setups and try everything new. I can assure that usally in 95 % of the time only 1 VM will run at the same time and maybe 3-4 Dockers.

I would like to hear your feedback and questions! Can´t wait to start building everything!

Cheers