[SOLVED] Lost access to Server Management Utility whislt preclearing

andyjayh

Today I installed 4 more 2tb drives into my unRAID (4.7) server. I had 2 x WD EARS drives already installed with no parity setup as yet.

Started preclear via the server console directly and started all four running with no problem. As I had some data on the two drives in the array I started to play around with shares and data structure, nothing amazing, just getting used to the way the users shares work. All going well and learning my way around with help from the wiki. Went to rename one directory under the Disk2 share via explorer on my PC and explorer hung and lost access to Disk2. Couldn't get it back and then I noticed that I had lost access to the web managment also. Now I can see my server via Network in explorer but the only shares are Disk1, Disk2 & Flash and all other shares have gone.

On the server console there are some Media (my server name) Kernel meassages;

Message from syslogd@Media at Tue Feb 15 10:51:37 2011

Media kernel: EIP: [<c1030b99>] wq_per_cpu+0x1/0x19 SS:ESP 0068:d1f29e08

Media kernel: CR2: 0000000000000010

Media kernel: Call Trace:

There were some more going off the screen also but I can't see these now. I am hoping that when the preclear has finished and reboot will resolve but I really have no idea at this point?

syslog attached now

syslog-2011-02-15-1625.txt

Question to the OP - are these "new" hard drives previously used (perhaps in a MAC).

It appears that some of them have two existing partitions and they are mentions of "invalid GPT"

Feb 15 10:01:20 Media kernel:  sde1 sde2

Feb 15 10:01:20 Media kernel: sd 5:0:0:0: [sde] Attached SCSI disk

Feb 15 10:01:20 Media kernel: Alternate GPT is invalid, using primary GPT.

Feb 15 10:01:20 Media kernel:  sdf1 sdf2

Feb 15 10:01:20 Media kernel: sd 6:0:0:0: [sdf] Attached SCSI disk

Feb 15 10:01:20 Media kernel:  sdd1 sdd2

Feb 15 10:01:20 Media kernel: sd 4:0:0:0: [sdd] Attached SCSI disk

Do not recall such things before.

Yes I bought the Samsung drives secondhand and I don't know what they have been used in. I have to admit that when I started the preclear on the drives that it warned that there was and invalid GPT partition. I stopped and tried to find out what this meant. I assumed they had been used in a Mac or Drobo but I couldn't work out if this was a problem or if the preclear would remove any invalid partitions??

Yes I bought the Samsung drives secondhand and I don't know what they have been used in. I have to admit that when I started the preclear on the drives that it warned that there was and invalid GPT partition. I stopped and tried to find out what this meant. I assumed they had been used in a Mac or Drobo but I couldn't work out if this was a problem or if the preclear would remove any invalid partitions??

The preclear will completely remove the old partitions.  It is not anything to worry about.

The preclear will completely remove the old partitions.  It is not anything to worry about.

Fantastic, thanks Joe. I assumed that was the case but I did have a nagging doubt :)

p.s. sent an email to Lime tech re this thread as suggested.

Archived