ASRock 4Core1333-FullHD motherboard

It'll all depend on the state of drivers for the SATA ports; I honestly have no idea if it's supported atm, but I'd bet no, since it's fairly new.

I think you'd be better off sticking with an Intel board, just for simplicity's sake, but I'm a simple man... :D Plus, the most notable features for that board, in the Intel realm, is the accelerated BD/HD-DVD playback, HDCP, HDMI audio... all sorta useless for unRAID.

It looks like a fast motherboard, but with very limited expandability, with only 4 SATA ports, 1 PCIe X16 slot, 1 PCIe X1 slot, and 2 PCI slots, one of which would contain your NIC until there is support for the RTL8111B.  The Linux kernel currently included in recent unRAID releases certainly supports a lot of hardware, but I'd be more comfortable buying a motherboard with those chipsets when I've heard someone else report success. 

I find Google very useful at checking compatibility, and in this case (Linux support for RS600 & SB600), the web appears to be suspiciously quiet.  I would wait, for a positive report.

I'll chime in with a less fact-filled response.

Unless you already own a motherboard, you found a screaming deal, or there is some specific feature you want out of it, I would definitely purchase one of the oft-proven boards other Unraid owners have used.  The pain of incompatibility is a very real possibility.

Bill

Thanks for your answers.

Why I looked at this board is that I need a temp. computor set up that could play 720 p x264 movies and have one dvi and one vga out , I need it for aproximate 3 - 4 moth and using this card toghter with one of the new celeron, would cut it.

After that period I want to use it as a unraid server.

The only 4 sata raid is no problem since I only will use 1 tb disk and already have an extra sata raid pci card which would give me 2 more, ant a total of 5 tb which is far more than needed in the next couple of years.

This card would be by far the  cheapest alt.(aproximate half the pricee to next cheapest other solution) for this compo( 3-4 moth htpc and the unraid server) but I now if you sitting there have incompaility problems and it takes alot of work to get it working, maybe haven´t eaten in 24 hours becuse so you realy want to get it working before taking a break.

At that moment I would happyly pay the extra money, for a set up that works quick with no/litle problem.

• 1 month later...