File permition

Hello to all and thanks in advance for any answers. I searched the forum and i found some cases with similar problems but not the same. Long story short, i setup a server for a customer about 3-4 months ago and my Os of choice was unraid. The system is an HP Proliant 360p Gen8 with a Xeon CPU E5-2609 and 16GB Ram (the controller is set to HBA Mode). For disks we have 2 x Seagate Ironwolf 4TB (with one be the parity), a WD Red 2TB and a Samsung 860 240GB for cache drive. Before this server, the customer was using a Pc with Windows Server 2012 R2 acting as a server with 1.7-1.8TB worth of files. In the office there are about twenty people working straight from the server (opening files making changes and saving again). There is a central folder called Work and in there each one of them have a personal folder and of course some shared folders as well. One thing to mention at this point is that they use very very long folder structures and 99% is in greek.

So, after i installed unraid i started to copy all the files from the old system to the new one using Unassigned Devices to mount the old disk and then using a VM inside the new server to move the files. Everything went fine except some long folders where i used different utils to copy them (e.g. TeraCopy).

After the copy process finished i did run the New Permissions tool so every file is the same and they start using it like they used the old one. About 2 weeks later after i tune it a little better for example i add users for all of them so they can access it without problems, i changed the Work folder to secure and the Cache setting to Yes the problems start to appear. Every day there are files some can access, and some cannot. I must run Docker Safe New Perms 2 or 3 times a day to fix the permissions. I tried some things i found in the forum, but nothing seems to work for me. I included a diagnostics file before i run Docker Safe New Perms today. Is it the long folder structure? Is it because the files are not in English? Is it just unraid? 

Can please someone help, because i really don't know how fix this

Many thanks to all in advance

skynet-diagnostics-20210506-0929.zip

Hi there, welcome to the forum.

First thing to mention is -- good coverage of information, background, issue description, and diagnostics. That's a fantastic start.

I haven't dug through every line -- I inspected only the things that I think could be relevant -- but I don't see any hard failures anywhere. That's another good thing. Unfortunately in this case, it also seems to mean that the diagnostics don't contain any log data that could be specifically helpful in tracking this one down.

In your information, the only omitted thing that might help chase down a potential source would be share-related. I feel it's safe to assume you're probably using Samba (SMB / Windows client) shares, but if you're not please clarify.

With any share type, we would probably need to see log files from the samba (or whichever share service you use) service -- which does expose filenames very broadly to anyone on the forum, which complicates matters if there may be sensitive contents. Perhaps a self-scan could come up with some error messages you could paste selectively, if nothing else.

My first impulse is to check the forum specifically for the Permissions plugin you're using, likely the Fix Common Problems plugin, as well as any logs provided by that plugin itself. If it has issues setting permissions, it may help to see where and why.

• Like 1

Many thanks codefaux for the fast response! Yes i use SMB Shares with the settings in the photo. Because my experience with unraid stops here, where can i find all this logs so i can take a look? If i cant find anything i don't mind sharing the logs here so we can find a solution. Many thanks in advance.

image.png.c09a9d0c1e175484044d2602dc91697b.png

Sorry for disappearing, life has been a lot lately.

I'm gonna be honest - I don't use the Unraid webUI all that much for system admin -- I'm a terminal guy. It would appear that there is no "user-facing" location to find those logs, but I could be mistaken.

Samba's logs are stored in the filesystem at /var/log/samba

Unbalance stored them, I believe, in /boot/logs

I'm not sure where any of the other relevant logs would be kept. You mentioned using Secure for a specific folder, and that Cache is set to Yes for it. Impulsively, a part of me suspects that the permissions rewrite is causing trouble...

I don't recall you menitoning the volume of your data, just the disks -- would it be realistic for you to essentially move all data off the server, erase and recreate the shares with proper security/cache settings, then use the shares to transfer the data back onto the server? That might more effectively assure all files are rewritten with the correct permissions, but it also could be a waste of time.

This really feels like one of those issues where the webUI could be a limiting factor. Are you experienced with Linux at a more terminal prompt level?