UnRaid with HDD Pool and Single Disk Parity Array

This is fascinating:

UnRaid is almost perfect for me. I want something that has disk management and storage with native docker and VM management that is somewhat mature

• OMV doesn't have VM but has docker via portainer
  • TrueNas has VM but no native docker
  • Proxmox is something very different but has VM over ZFS < Currently run OMV VM on this setup with a 25TB virtual volume.
  • Unraid has both docker and VM but no RAID really, just single disk access array which I feel can get slow with accessing media that I have stored on there or search or scan the videos

So, I'm thinking of just going with a single disk array so it will start, and move to a pool 8 HDDs and do cache only on that share, then have my nvme pool still for docker and vms. 

Is there anything in this setup that is problematic? I have backups of everything so that's not a huge concern, as long as I can repair the pool should an HDD fail under btrfs I would think i'm good. Will HDD performance be better than especially for reads over the single disk array then?

I think I have enough resources to test this out for a bit so might give it a go.

Started looking at Cockpit on Ubuntu running ZFS. It's not bad. Pretty basic UI and has some core server admin functionality. Can do NFS, docker and KVM natively side by side. Overall it works but it's kind of boring. I moved all my old Ceph disks into an 8 drive Raid 10 (4 mirror x 2 disks) ZFS pool setup on Unraid and also tested a 4 drive on the Ubuntu/Cockpit setup. I can now copy 4Gbps on my 8 drive setup without using a parity disk or array, and can take advantage of all the other utility of Unraid for shares and some widgets and app management and now docker/VMs against those shares. It's not what Unraid was intended for I guess but getting excellent performance on the main 40TB array is what I need as all my media is served and synced there. Before I was getting 300mbs on a 4 drive with 1 parity array I guess cause its one drive writes and a parity write, which to me wasn't acceptable.

Unraid isn't for everyone with how they do the main store of their mass array data, but ZFS performance is hard to pass up too. Oddly this is the fastest over network copy Ive ever been able to achieve. I'll have 12 disks in the final build if testing keeps going well.

Screen Shot 2021-06-12 at 11.49.08 PM.png

Edited by moogoos