Unraid doesn't boot, stuck at vgaarb: change VGA decodes ( VFIO )

bob8x

Hello guys,

sorry for the noobish question, but I've read many different thing, some old and some recent and I don't know what should I do...

Let's start pointing out that it's a first installation: before moving files I wanted to setup my windows machine.

As described in a guide I want to convert a physical installation of win10 to a VM with pass-through ssd and vga on unraid.

My current setup involves ryzen 5 1600x, msi rtx 2070, asus prime x370-pro, unraid 6.9.2 and 6.10 rc1.

The problem starts at the beginning of the guide when I try to mount only my vga ( as well as the connected usb hub, usb exit and audio ) as reserved for vfio ( I cannot select the frontal usb port, maybe  with acs where I can split some group, but that is another talk ), because when I reboot to apply the changes at the start I got the message

> vfio-pci 00000:09:00.0: vgaarb: changed VGA decodes: olddecodes= io+mem, decodes=io+mem:owns=io+mem

I have read and found some things: 

- acs should not solve  because is involved when starting a VM,  here I'am starting the o.s. .

- in the past I should have blacklisted the vga to boot, but with the last versions everything is already done with vfio menu.

- someone managed to boot to unraid with just one card and starting the win VM with the same card ( with pass-through).

- buy a second small vga card.

What are the alternative to have all working? ( I can accept the fact that I have the vga output only on win and that I have to manage unraid from phone or chrome inside vm ).

Many thanks

EDIT: that was very dumb.. because that's not " an error" at that point the vga ouput goes black, but the system goes online...

So I am continuing to setup addressing others issues..

Edited by bob8x
  • 5 months later...
On 9/12/2021 at 10:29 AM, bob8x said:

EDIT: that was very dumb.. because that's not " an error" at that point the vga ouput goes black, but the system goes online...

So I am continuing to setup addressing others issues..

Ya my system boots no issue.. I just have to give it a few minutes past that message and then log in from my phone or another system to access the interface. It goes dead after the error message as the system loses the ability to keep updating the display there without a graphical output available. The system keeps going.

• Like 1