Migrating from tower to rack chassis

jakeslominski

Currently maxing out my tower chassis with 11 drives. Looking for a rackmount chassis to transplant to that wont break the bank. Need the future expandability for more drives. Budget is $300-400. Doesn't need to be new, but needs to be easily stocked because my husband is buying it for me for Christmas and doesn't have the skillset to scour ebay auctions.

Wishlist:

• 4U with 7 full height expansion slots (GPUs and NICs currently full height)
  • Accepts standard ATX motherboard (eatx expandability would be cool too)
  • Accepts standard ATX PSU (just want to transplant my current system and cant afford a new/different form factor psu at the moment)
  • 24-36 drive bays (can be front hotswap or top loaded, not picky on that)
  • backplane (using a mix of sas and sata drives currently (prefer 12g but can work with 6g)
On 10/31/2021 at 9:13 PM, jakeslominski said:

Currently maxing out my tower chassis with 11 drives. Looking for a rackmount chassis to transplant to that wont break the bank. Need the future expandability for more drives. Budget is $300-400. Doesn't need to be new, but needs to be easily stocked because my husband is buying it for me for Christmas and doesn't have the skillset to scour ebay auctions.

Wishlist:

• 4U with 7 full height expansion slots (GPUs and NICs currently full height)
  • Accepts standard ATX motherboard (eatx expandability would be cool too)
  • Accepts standard ATX PSU (just want to transplant my current system and cant afford a new/different form factor psu at the moment)
  • 24-36 drive bays (can be front hotswap or top loaded, not picky on that)
  • backplane (using a mix of sas and sata drives currently (prefer 12g but can work with 6g)

In my experience this is a really hard ask... The chances of spending $300-$400 for everything on your list is next to impossible. Really Ebay is your only option and you will still have to make certain mods and compromises to get what you want in that budget. So you might want to scour Ebay and buy it yourself and then have the husband just hide it from you till Christmas.

Maybe it is time to upgrade the size of a few of your drives instead of doing a chassis transplant.

Best of Luck!