When will RB-1200's be available?

refthimos

The Lime Technology website shows all servers out of stock, both the RB-1200 all three models of the MD-1510.  There is a note dated January 18, 2010 on the website's font page titled "Getting Caught Up with Server Orders," but it's three months later and wondering if there is an update to this.

Double-check that date...that announcement was make 1 year and 3 months ago.  As far as I know, LimeTech has not sold a single server in at least that long.  There was a more recent announcement from December of 2010 stating LimeTech's intention to resume server sales, but none of us have heard anything about it since.  Feel free to email LimeTech directly and inquire about server sales, but I don't expect you'll get a favorable response.

In the meantime, prostuff1 and I are in the process of getting our server building business underway.  You can view our server designs and offerings on our website here.  We are ready to start taking orders, even though our website isn't 100% complete.

If you check the Buy, Sell, Trade forum, you'll also see that Queeg is also offering his services as a builder of custom servers.

Neither of us can build the RB-1200 exactly as neither of us can resell unRAID at the current time (you will have to order your unRAID license through LimeTech), but we both have server designs that are very similar to (and in some ways better than) the RB-1200.

Yes, I suppose I read it just a little too quickly.  And obviously I am a complete NOOB.  Basically I am looking for a media server to use with a Boxee Box on a single HDTV.  That's it, no other uses, end of story.  My plan is to buy a server box, 12 WD20EARS drives, plug it into my network with the Boxee Box, dump my media files into the server from my laptop (I know this will be painfully slow) and go from there.

I'm willing to wade through the various FAQ's and post to figure out how to get unRAID to work on the server, configure folders, etc., but as a complete and utter NOOB to all this (I am replacing a Escient Fireball system which controls three Sony ES 400 DVD changers), what would I need in addition to the 12 drive Eco Build? 8 more SATA cables to handle all 12 drives?  Anything else?  Yes, like I said, total NOOB here.

I believe unRAID is perfect for your needs.  unRAID excels as a 'set it and forget it' type of storage solution.

If you are referring to buying a server from GreenLeaf, then it will come with all the components that you need pre-configured.  It will work out of the box with only minimal initial configuration.  Past that, you just add hard drives as needed (though you can buy a server with some hard drives pre-installed as well).

If you would like to build your own server, then I recommend you start with my Prototype designs thread and buy the parts I recommend there if possible.  Many motherboards, drive cages, etc. come with SATA cables, so in some cases you wouldn't need any extras.  If you do, I recommend buying them from Monoprice.  Some designs also call for special miniSAS cables, but each of these is detailed in the build description.

Thanks for all the helpful info.  I think I am definitely going to pass on the build-my-own solution.  So when I see your Greenleaf 12 bay server has 4 SATA cables, does that mean each connects to 3 drives?  I'm good to go with that box (I see that it includes unRAID on the USB stick) and the 12 WD20EARS drives (I get 10% off Amazon and they are just $79.99 there so will just slap them in the box myself).

Each of the 4 SATA cables connects to one drive each.  Then, each of the two Forward Breakout Cables connects to 4 drives each.  These are the forward breakout cables that we use.  They connect the internal 8 port controller card to the individual hard drives.

4 SATA + 8 Forward breakout (4 each on 2 cables) totals connectivity for 12 drives.

Our 12 Drive Budget Build uses all internal drives, so you will have to open the server to install and swap drives and connect power and data cables manually.  Our 12 Drive Eco Build uses hot swap bays, so you don't need to open the server to install and swap drives, instead you just screw the drive to the drive tray and plug it into the front of the server (no need to mess with cables).