First build - 5900X

Hi all!

I'm currently working towards my first build and could use some advice/help/comments...

These are the parts I'm probably going to use:

• Chassis: Fractal Design Node 804 (Micro ATX case)
  • CPU: Ryzen 5900X (or 5800X or 5700G)
  • MB: MSI MAG B550M MORTAR
  • RAM: 2x16 Gb 3200Mhz DDR4 (probably Vengeance LPX)
  • Cache drive: 1TB Samsung 860 EVO M.2 (reused from my previous PC)
  • Additional SSD for windows VM: 500GB Samsung 860 EVO Sata (reused from my previous PC)
  • HDD's: 4x3TB WD Red (reused from 2 other NAS builds)
  • GPU: GIGABYTE GTX 1060 WINDFORCE OC 6G (reused from my previous PC)

The purpose of the build is to combine my 2 NAS into 1, which will add more volume considering they are both in RAID 1 and make the management easier. Secondly I would like to get rid of my old "gaming" PC by moving the graphics card to the Unraid-server and setup a Windows VM. I don't have much time for gaming, so I don't want to upgrade my GPU. I would also run some docker containers for OpenVPN and Home Assistant. An added bonus would be that I could also run some Ubuntu VM's for experimenting.

I would like some advice though on the following subjects:

1. I read that MSI should support headless operation, which would be required for the 5900X and 5800X. Is this assumption correct and does the MSI support it? Would you advice a different board? Considering my use cases, would there be any benefit in going for the 5700G? I suppose it would be best to go for the 12-core? ;)
  2. I read that GPU pass-through can be a bit of a pain, especially with older graphics cards. Anything noteworthy about the GTX 1060?

General comments or remarks are extremely welcome!

Best regards!