VMS go to black screen, high CPU, no GPU passthrough

Go to solution Solved by hanmaan,

Trying to start up a VM in UnRaid - can't seem to get it started. 

I tried to setup GPU passthough first, mucked around trying to setup SteamOS, reset it back so I could try to just work with only the HVM to get a Ubuntu VM going. I went into the BIOS, enabled VT-d, tried to bind the GPU to VFI0, enable unsafe interrupts, reverted all the above then tried to setup a new VM.

I created the VM with only one CPU, launch it using the VNC video card and try to build the VM with the Ubuntu 20.04.3 ISO. I get the initial GRUB menu, then it tries to verify the contents (I skip it), then the screen goes to black. The mouse cursor spins, I can hear the printer reacting to the OS booting, but I can't see what, if anything, is happening on the UI. Any suggestions?

tower-diagnostics-20220303-1933.zip

This doesn't look to be an issue with Unraid - looks more like its specifically Ubuntu 20.04. Once the splash screen tries to come up, the display disappears. I switched to a 18.04 guest to build the VM and VNC is fine. The issue might be related to this https://askubuntu.com/questions/1316746/no-video-on-ubuntu-20-04-minimal-vm-via-virt-manager, but not sure what steps to take to get the guest further along before the display cuts out.

• 9 months later...
  • Solution

Okay, revisiting this because I ran into issues with Ubuntu 22 as well. Looks like the issue was not setting enough RAM. I set the minimum RAM value too low, 1GB. I bumped to 4GB and all is well. 😅

Edited by hanmaan
Better explanation of my error