Ubuntu 20.4 - VNC stops working

New Ubuntu VM: After working OK for an hour or so VNC is suddenly unable to connect and I get a "noVNC" screen. Clicking "Connect" on this screen brings the desktop back for a second, then back to the "noVNC" screen. Sometimes I get just enough time to do something like shut down. Sometimes its just a flash and gone.

Clearing the browser cache sometimes gives me a bit more access time, but not always.

I have tried all the VNC options in the template

I have tried Firefox, Chrome and Opera (same result) and Safari (doesn't work at all)

I have deleted the VM and started again from scratch

The first install I got Deluge installed and working, but because I lost access I had to delete the VM and start again.

The second time I put a VNC password in the template, but was blocked by Firefox's "insecure" warnings.

Third time I got part way through trying to set up TightVNC server as alternative connection, but couldn't finish before VNC lost the connection. (The TightVNC client connects, but with just a blank grey screen).

All ideas welcome. I'm about to trash it and try a another fresh VM install...

TIA