Gigabyte GA-M68MT-S2 seems HPA free

edz2k11

Afternoon all

I purchased this board as a pre-built bundle initially not realising it was a gigabyte board  ::) after an initial small freakout when I couldnt find an HPA option in the advanced bios option and there was no bios update I was thinking I'd return it. However I looked into it further including checking with Gigabyte and it would seem that it does NOT have an automated HPA option built in. The gist I got from the contact I spoke to was also that any board from now on with HPA will be defaulted to no and switchable, no option means there is no built in HPA.

It does have a windows app of Xpress Recovery Software which can be used to create the HPA entry if you want it but according to those I've spoken to it doesnt have an automated HPA (hence it not being in the advanced BIOS options).

One note is that it only has 4 sata ports on the board which is below the sweet point for bigger boxes although it does have a 16speed and 2 1x Pcie sockets.

Seems very stable and the only negative I could find was I had to remove a usb cable guard to get my internal USB header onto the motherboard to mount the flash drive inside.

Cheers all

Ed

• 3 weeks later...

Archived