Concurrent Dual Windows and Linux, one workstation, using RemoteApp or similar

TimWatts

Hi folks - I only learnt of Unraid on Linus's Tech Tips channel yesterday. I think this could perfect for a new gaming rig I'm planning to build this autumn or whenever AM5 gets going.

I want to primarily live in Linux (Ubuntu). But I also have Windows apps that I must have: Adobe, Fusion360 and others.

So what I was thinking is dual GPUs, one passed through to a Linux VM, the other to a Windows 11 Pro VM. Obviously I could monitor switch between them for a fairly native experience without having to reboot (aka old skool dual boot setup). Windows would get the "good" GPU, Linux a more basic or even onboard one.

But what would be ideal is to be able to launch Windows apps in the Linux desktop using RDP and something like RemoteApps. This is handy for ad hoc use of windows apps. If I were going to have a long deep session with Fusion or LightRoom, I'd probably switch the monitors and keyboard over...

Anyone done this? How is it? Are there other ways? Could Unraid's "Application Server" help here (for GPU bound apps)? I haven't had time to research that feature yet...

Cheers :) Tim

PS had already considered ESXi baremetal for this (I work with VMWare) - but the hardware support is tricky for homebuilds... And Unraid solves that.

Edited by TimWatts